Ezetow/trailer question?

Hawcara

We want to take our scooter on trips away. We have looked at the scooter rack option, but Highbridge and Chausson state that a rack cannot be fitted to the Ford chassis. As the van is fairly new, I would not want to invalidate the warranty.

We are very pleased with the van nonetheless.

I state the above to show where we are coming from.

Chausson etc state that the max tow is 1000kg but will not give a towball weight eg 80kg. The vehicle is wired for electrics.

Thus if the van cannot take a rack then why can it take a trailer? Apart from the rack weight etc, is it that the bouncy effect of the weight on the rear end, is partly absorbed by the trailer? The trailer will have a noseweight and the scooter will also bear down as well.

I will be interested in your comments.

Thank you :-D

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good afternoon,

The usual max downward pressure on a towball is 100kg without special engineering. Most scooterracks with scooter on will wegh around 150kg.

Depending on the overhang you will also be likely to get aback axle overload.

I find it difficult to believe that there is not astandard tow bar to take a trailer.

The ezitow trailer is a great piece of equipment which will carry a fair bit of weight for its size.

norm

Thank you for that.

We have a rear bar, with a tow bar fitted. So that is not an issue. We will be going down the Ezetow route, even though it lengthens the van.

I was trying to understand though, why there would be downward force with a rack on and how this would change with a trailer. That perhaps the trailer would have a 'softening' effect on this motion. B-)

Thank you Judge, what a superb bit of kit.

The problem still remains, that Chausson and Highbridge say that a rack cannot be fitted. Hymer and Hobby both use the same chassis (Ford) and it would be interesting how they tackle this issue.

The rack that you suggest is similar in price to the Ezetow. Also my scooter weighs 125kg. (I can't go for anything smaller as I use it to go to work and part of it is along the A38.)

B-)

peter - 2012-10-12 3:25 PM

This is what you need and it can be reversed as well, unlike the easytow, which will jacknife into your van.

http://www.easylifter.co.uk/hydra-trail.htm

You silly man Peter, the ezetow has three attachment points and CANNOT jack-knife; only something with one attachment point can as you will see with the easylift. Plus there are a few moving parts that pivot on pins/rods all subject to failure, which I have has happened. Plus with the ezetow there are no problems when reversing, the ezetow goes the way you steer, the wheels pivot like a shopping trolley.

Plus the easylift is a trailer in the eyes of the ferry companies where as the ezetow is an extension to the length, an overhang.

And yes before anyone tries to shoot me down I DO have an ezetow and have had no trouble. It is a great bit of British designed and made kit from the home of motoring Coventry. Give them a ring you will be impressed.

I looked at the Easylifter, but on another forum there was quite a discussion on problems that people had with it, whereas the Ezetow seems to be the opposite.

What weight do you put on your Ezetow Postnote and what sort of bike?

Thank you B-)

Hawcara - 2012-10-12 4:47 PM

I looked at the Easylifter, but on another forum there was quite a discussion on problems that people had with it, whereas the Ezetow seems to be the opposite.

What weight do you put on your Ezetow Postnote and what sort of bike?

Thank you B-)

I have carried a scooter for some years now with none of the problems others seem to throw up. Our small swift sundance 530lp was fine with a rack/towbar weight of 60kg and scooter weight 105kg. Close to limit on rear axle but traveled with water tank empty, sv tech could give me 100kg on rear axle if required anyway by replating to 3500kg. What your motorhome maker states the van will carry would not really impress me much, why not ask the base vehicle maker? I intend going down the ezetow route this time as I want to carry a larger bike but will wait now until new van is purchased, really missed our scooter later part of this year would not consider any van we could not carry it on. Did consider electric bikes but not for us really, nothing better than south of France, open face helmet and sunglasses, back to my twenties again. Did consider taking my Susuki Bandit on an ezytow but will stick with scooter, probably Honda pcx.

peter - 2012-10-12 3:25 PM

This is what you need and it can be reversed as well, unlike the easytow, which will jacknife into your van.

http://www.easylifter.co.uk/hydra-trail.htm

I do wish that if people post on here they get their facts right, Ezetow does NOT jacknife, and can carry quite heavy weights, if you ask for one a bit longer, you can also carry your table and chairs, we also carry our pushbikes on ours, on a towball/bracket at the back. :-) 8o| :-D

Thank you all for your responses.

My feeling about going to the base vehicle maker or getting someone else to fit a rack is based on the warranty issue and that Chausson have stated it cannot be done and the van was not designed to have one. If the van was out of warranty then I would probably take the course suggested.

Nonetheless, from listening to advice on this forum, I/we will be going down the Ezetow route. I also have a Honda PCX, which is excellent , even two up.

The Ezetow gives me the option of buying a bigger scooter in the future. The rear swing could be a problem, being in mind the transit mirrors are not that brilliant.

As I have said in the past, I have learnt more off this forum than any other, the van was a result of information from it and many other items.

Any advice given is always gratefully accepted. One can always be wise after the event and knowledge gained here,is really an extension of the brain. B-)

Thank you Flicka.

It is that latter video, that convinced my wife. She did not fancy unhooking a conventional trailer if we had to reverse any distance.

The only downside of a trailer is really the extra toll that will have to be purchased if we go to Switzerland again. Probably only go when we have a longer holiday to make it really worthwhile. Still plenty of other places to buzz around! :-D

Guest JudgeMental

Hmm..... negotiating speed bumps @ about 2 mph....what if you don't see them (in french video I fink)

I can see if you have wrong van and adding air etc,,,not an option, these kinda things the only choice, but they are a bodge I think

Hi Judge, where exactly in the video is it?

There seems to many different companies who make this type of trailer, french, German and some in US. There is a lot of discussion on other forums as well. There also seems to be people on here who have purchased them.

I agree that speed bumps could be a problem, but surely that depends on the bearing quality on the wheels.

I would be interested to hear any other comments. B-)

Guest JudgeMental

it was to the left on Flicka's link. I guess if you can have a normal of the ground attachment its got to be a jockey wheel type.

Guest JudgeMental
Hawcara - 2012-10-14 4:03 PM

If you are referring to the single wheel ones, then I can see your point. Must admit, the forces acting upon such a thing going around a corner, moderately fast could be interesting.

:-D

I posted on another thread I think, that I followed a UK van on my bike last year in Spain (2 wheel version) and at speed bumps he had to slow down to near zero...I would not fancy one at all. would rather uprate axle and go for the 35kg electric one I posted the other day.....fit and forget in comparison I would think....

Interesting, I've just watched the video.

With the single wheel version I too wouldn't be happy due to the sidewards 'tilting' forces which must put a lot of strain on the attachment/bar on the motorhome, I'd be worried about it playing 'see-saw' as you can actually see it doing a bit of wiggling in the video!

As for the double wheel version, it seems to be much, much more stable and, if I was to go for one, that would be the one I'd get.

As for going slow over speed bumps, the motorhome with the single wheel version did have to go slow at one point but that appeared to be more because of the 'wobble' of the motorhome than the 'trailer'.

My problem Judge, is not the rear axle load but that Chausson say it cannot be done. That is, not to say it cannot be done in reality but that as the van is still under warranty (damp etc) I am loathe to break that part of the warranty. If the van were older and I had seen one with such a rack, then I would be more than happy to do it.

If a trailer breaks then that is one thing, if the chassis cracks or is put under undue strain then that is a lot more expensive.

Others on this forum Postnote etc have declared they are more than happy with it and have experience of Easylifter, one that I would not go with.

I am very pleased that others are looking at this, one gains from experience and in truth, if I were totally confident at this stage, I would not be mentioning it on the forum.

By the way Mel, glad you are enjoying your Accent. B-)

O/K I'll admit it, I got it wrong about the easytow and it does indeed have two attachment points. The downside is that the bike sits in front of the wheels when underway. Consequently it puts a lot more of the bikes weight on the towbar. If it's a rack as described by one person, then the whole load will count towards your vehicles MAM and will overload most vans.

Methinks Peter is trying to justify buying his Hydratrail which if threads elsewhere are anything to go by is a very flawed product with numerous bearing and welding failures. The Hydratrail issues may or may not be isolated but there is no doubt in my mind at least that the EZETOW is a far superior product for anyone wishing to go down the towing route.

Archived