Elddis Leisure Battery Fuses

AndyB

Has anybody else had problems with leisure battery going flat whilst in storage and then not recharging off hook up and from alternator ?

I have this problem with my 2009 Sunseeker 120.

Apparently there are a cuple of fuses that blow if the leisure battery goes flat. I've checked the main fuse in the main fuse box under the rear sofa and they're ok.

Does anybody with a similar model know where the other fuses are located ?

I've written to Elddis and am waiting for a proper reply.

Thanks for reading.

Andy

My Compass 130 [same as Eldis ?] gave similar problems..flat after charging on hookup ..within 48hrs ..despite non usage.

No fuses blown however, despite totally flat battery.

Used Ctek charger in its "recovery mode"..but in the end gave up..it still went flat after charging on hookup.

A new Battery solved the problem..easy way [expensive] out..but it worked

I did try all the fuses under the dinette seat and even the under bonnet fuses..all ok every time.

There may a more technical explanation from one of the experts on the forum..but the new battery worked despite the"old one" only being less than! 3 years old

hope you get it solved asap

Got a 115. Can't think of any other fuses than the ones on the unit under the settee/bed. Can't see why fuses would blow if it went flat (which it won't like too much). Have a look at the electolyte levels in the cells on the battery, they may need topping up but it may be a new battery required if it's gone beyond recovery.

Maybe the battery has reached the end of its life !

Sitting around at a dealers or converters for a few months with no charge would cause it to suphate up to a stage that the battery could not be recoverable even with a de-sulphating charger.

Rgds

Why do I only see mistakes after posting ?

There are usually some hefty fuses 30 or 40 amps located near the battery.

One for the charge circuit and one for feeding the supply to motorhome.

Some vehicles have the charge fuse fitted near the vehicle battery where the wire is taken off to the split charge relay.

The fuse for charging can blow if the battery is completely flat or very low and you try to charge from alternator.

Many on board chargers will not charge a flat battery below a set voltage, usually set about 6 to 8 volts. To get round this you could start the engine and idle it gently or use a seperate charger, such as the Ctek which has been suggested, to bring the battery volts up and then use the on board charger. Charging any fairly flat battery on the alternator does not do it any good as charge current during initial charging is far too high. Chargers like the Ctek or equivalent pulse charge the battery until the voltage rises and then bulk charges.

If the battery has been completely flattened for a while, such as a few weeks then chances of recovery are very slim. Some gel batteries will survive a few weeks but not all, and most, if they do recover, will be seriously sulphated and capacity reduced.

Don't let your battery get flat, disconnect in stroage or have a means to trickle charge to compensate for standby power to equipment.

edit - spelling

Hope to be using the m/home nxt weekend.

I'll try and find the fuses and pobably buy a new battery anyway.

Off to the Edin CC site at the end of November and won't be using

the m/home without mains hook up until spring nxtt year.

Fortunately all the 12 volt electrics still wok with the dead battery.

Regads to you all.

Andy

Hope to be using the m/home nxt weekend.

I'll try and find the fuses and pobably buy a new battery anyway.

Off to the Edin CC site at the end of November and won't be using

the m/home without mains hook up until spring nxtt year.

Fortunately all the 12 volt electrics still wok with the dead battery.

Regads to you all.

Andy

For Safety, unless you know the fuse has blown I would diconnect the battery negative. Say for example you have an open circuit cell or one which is extremely insulating from sulphation with high resistance, then driving and vibration my dislodge lead within the cell and it starts to conduct again. This could put heavy loads on the alternator (hopefully blowing a fuse if it has not already, and at worse short the cell and other cells overcharge and gas excessively and could burst the battery. So for safetly I recommend any known faulty battery is disconnected or better still removed completely and insulate the +ve leads extremely well so they will not short to ground.

AndyB - 2010-10-23 1:09 PM

Has anybody else had problems with leisure battery going flat whilst in storage [snip]

Andy

I think it's been mentioned before on here, but on Compass/Eldiss motorhomes switching the 12v electrics off by the habitation door still leaves a 70ma or so load on the battery from a relay. To isolate the battery you need to set the AUX/VEH battery selector rocker switch to the unlabelled central position i.e. neither AUX or VEH batteries (you'll hear the relay disengage).

Steve928 - I never new that! I bypassed the relay about three years ago to solve a recurring flat battery problem on my 115 and would seem to be a perfect solution for turning on/off the electrics when entering and exiting through the front (which for some odd reason we do a lot...) Bravo! :-D

Hi John, you may have a switch to select either leisure or engine battery and it has a center off position. Not sure, but worth checking switch positions. There shoudl also be some fuses inline near te battery. May bit e very obvious but often are just black looking rectangular boxes and the lid opens up to expose a bolted in aluminium strip fuse. If is blown it can be replaced with fuse wire.

My Autoquest 120 was the old shape (2006) and may be different. I always left the switch in the leisure battery position without mishap.

On mine, you could run the fridge on 12 volt with the engine off. Make sure that you switch your fridge to the 'off' position. On my present van, I wedge the fridge door open when not in use. One dark night, I went in to get something and found the fridge light on. Check to see if that is possible on yours. I also seem to remember removing a couple of small plastic covers in the centre of the engine bay and there were fuses there.

Just a tip for your old battery. I have an ancient battery charger which can shoot the voltage up to 15 volts when charging. Try your old battery on something like that. It is like a modern charger on steroids. :D

2 reasons Brambles.

First, the older chargers have a built in ammeter. If you can keep an eye on the rate of charge and how it comes down, this is an indicator of the condition of the battery. A healthy battery will follow a pattern. A faulty battery will take a big charge constantly.

At 14.5 - 15 amps the plates will get a good cleaning. It gets rid of the build up on them. I would not use this type of charger every single time a battery needed a charge but it is good once in a while.

Newer chargers have a position known as 'pulse' charging which is supposed to revive duff batteries. I believe the older type can do something similar.

Of course the OP could do what I do and make sure the batteries never get flat. Otherwise I have wasted the money I spent on solar panels, multimeters and wind turbines. :D

Hi again,

I've lifted the cover in the passenger footwell and found the fuses by the battery. We're currently spending a few nights in the m/home and everything is running off the hook up.

I'll probably get a solar panel and battery master fitted this week when I put the motorhome back in storage this week. I'll get said fuses replaced at the same time.

Cheers

Andy

If you remove the grey plastic trim on the B pillar next to the driver seat you will find another fuse box that contains 4 15A fuses you could have a look there.

You will find a wiring diagram in the rear of your Elddis/compass handbook.

I am not saying your problems in that box but worth checking the fuses.

Just got back from 2 nights at Wyatts Covett, which is a pleasent little CC site in Denham, Bucks

An 85 watt solar panel and battery master has now been ordered and will be fitted by the dealer where the motorhome is stored.

Cheers again,

Andy

AndyB - 2010-11-02 3:18 PM

Just got back from 2 nights at Wyatts Covett, which is a pleasent little CC site in Denham, Bucks

An 85 watt solar panel and battery master has now been ordered and will be fitted by the dealer where the motorhome is stored.

Cheers again,

Andy

Have you sorted yourself out with a new battery(ies) yet?

Archived