E bikes In Spain....Beware!

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

A public service announcement:

Spanish police have started fining e bike riders heavily if they do not have a COC (certificate of conformity from manufacturer) OR insurance for the e bike. fines have been given for 2000€ for no insurance if bike deemed to be a low powered moped with throttle. And a 500€ if you bike compliant but you are not carrying said COC with you

They are also enforcing cycle helmet rule when cycling on main roads....

Be careful out there pedelec'ers! :-D

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Had Enough
JudgeMental - 2014-11-01 12:22 PM

Spanish police have started fining e bike riders heavily if they do not have a COC (certificate of conformity from manufacturer) OR insurance for the e bike. fines have been given for 2000€ for no insurance if bike deemed to be a low powered moped with throttle. And a 500€ if you bike compliant but you are not carrying said COC with you

Thanks Eddie, that's a bit scary! Are you saying that any ebike with a throttle is not legal in Spain?

Guest JudgeMental
No but if you cant produce a COC for your bike on the spot and it is non compliant, a heavy fine can be the result. Just get a COC from the company you bought it from....I certainly would not risk riding in Spain without it on me in future.

Guest Had Enough
JudgeMental - 2014-11-01 1:10 PM

No but if you cant produce a COC for your bike on the spot and it is non compliant, a heavy fine can be the result. Just get a COC from the company you bought it from....I certainly would not risk riding in Spain without it on me in future.

Thanks, just seen the thread on the Pedelecs forum. We're going to Spain in February so I'd better be asking Woosh for a couple of COCs.

Thanks for the heads up as our friends over the pond say.

Ps I'm glad you've not left us. (lol)

Had Enough - 2014-11-01 1:03 PM

Thanks Eddie, that's a bit scary! Are you saying that any ebike with a throttle is not legal in Spain?

....the issue here is not to do with legality per se, but the classification that a particular bike falls into.

There are a set of constraints which apply allowing a powered bicycle to be considered as a "bicycle" in EU law, and one of these relates to the fact that it cannot be independently powered (i.e. existence of a throttle on an electric bicycle turns it into a low-performance moped (and thus subject to the regulations for these, including compulsory insurance)). Where the power is applied only as pedal-assistance (as on a true pedelec) then (subject to the other criteria) the bike is considered the same as a "bicycle".

Until recently (and possibly still) UK law had not applied the effects of EU law under harmonisation. As such, (and again subject to constraints) AIUI, a throttle was/is allowed in the UK (and, incidentally, many EU harmonised pedelecs were/are technically "illegal", since the maximum motor power in UK law was/is 200W, not the 250W allowed by EU legislation). Harmonisation should happen in the short term, and again AIUI, there is no intent to prosecute for the use of an EU-spec pedelec.

The following link may help explain a bit more:

http://www.bike-eu.com/Laws-Regulations/Safety-standards/2010/8/EU-Regulations-for-e-Bikes-Part-1-Type-approval-legislation-and-CEN-standards--BIK004232W/

Had Enough - 2014-11-01 1:21 PM

Thanks, just seen the thread on the Pedelecs forum. We're going to Spain in February so I'd better be asking Woosh for a couple of COCs.

....have you got a manual with the bikes?

The CoC for my (Kalkhoff) bikes is printed in the manual (and since it is also available on-line, can be individually printed out).

Evidence ???????????????????????????????????

Can any of this be substantiated or is it another "I was gassed, at least, he said, that, he said, that, he said"

Have been gaily cycling past policemen for a month now and even got directions from two, so does not appear to be a major crime drive by police.

Guest Had Enough
Robinhood - 2014-11-01 1:24 PM

Had Enough - 2014-11-01 1:21 PM

....have you got a manual with the bikes?

The CoC for my (Kalkhoff) bikes is printed in the manual (and since it is also available on-line, can be individually printed out).

Thanks. No, I haven't got a COC in my instruction book but Woosh's website states that all their bikes are compliant and certificates are available on request. I've just emailed them to ask for a couple.

They may be cheap but my Big Bear is brilliant. It's probably heavier then yours but I don't know if I've mentioned it but I'm getting a new motorhome with a massive payload, so it's no problem. ;-)

I've still got enough for the Jacuzzi and the helicopter landing pad! (lol)

Guest Had Enough
sshortcircuit - 2014-11-01 1:48 PM

Evidence ???????????????????????????????????

Can any of this be substantiated or is it another "I was gassed, at least, he said, that, he said, that, he said"

Have been gaily cycling past policemen for a month now and even got directions from two, so does not appear to be a major crime drive by police.

Was that in Spain, which is what the OP is reporting on? Even if it's a scare story carrying a COC isn't exactly a problem and if you run into someone or have an accident it could save you a bit of aggro.

Eddie, what sort of insurance? Is this the normal one most would have just for theft or one that covers the road traffic acts. Can you insure these as mopeds?

Yes, I am in Benidorm and there are 100s of electric bikes.

The only document I carry is my E111, which many don't.

There was supposed to be a crack down in Benidorm on the issue of electric scooters etc "Madge type drivers" so that only those with genuine needs would be able to hire. A group of 8 young ladies screamed in procession along the front today none of whom appeared to meet the criteria, Anybody worried, no (lol)

Guest JudgeMental
rupert123 - 2014-11-01 2:01 PM

Eddie, what sort of insurance? Is this the normal one most would have just for theft or one that covers the road traffic acts. Can you insure these as mopeds?

If you look at his thread H..and follow the link to earlier thread its all there including translations.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/ebike-insurance-for-spain.95749/

those of us that ride compliant bikes still need to carry the COC document to avoid fines. those of you who have bikes without EC marking and cant produce a COC (from say an ebay purchase) should think long and hard before riding it in Spain...

well as for not worried we all make our own choices: link in thread to article where a woman was stopped and fined 2000€? and appealed, fine was upheld and they hit her with another 400€

Its simple really..........Carry your COC

Thanks for all that useful info. Had a look at the Owners Manual for my bike and the CoC is included. What is of relief is that there is a sticker on the bike with the CoC details. Great, one less piece of bumf I will not need to carry.

Thankfully the sun is shining today and it is 25* + which is of major concern :-D :-D

Anyone riding any powered machine of any type,electric, or otherwise is strongly advised to take out third party insurance cover,knock someone over,you could,probably would get sued for damages.

We even have third party cover on a mobility scooter we take to Spain and elsewhere.

Guest JudgeMental
sshortcircuit - 2014-11-01 2:30 PM

Thanks for all that useful info. Had a look at the Owners Manual for my bike and the CoC is included. What is of relief is that there is a sticker on the bike with the CoC details. Great, one less piece of bumf I will not need to carry.

Thankfully the sun is shining today and it is 25* + which is of major concern :-D :-D

I would photocopy the COC and stick it in you wallet....incase you get stopped by the men with guns :-D

what's the temps like in Benidorm Hamish? London great the last few days, Amsterdam last week was a bit gray but a great time

As I said Eddie its 25*+ with blue skies although clouds starting to appear. Also getting a bit cooler at nights so able to sleep better. UK going through a funny spell at moment but not rushing home until near end of November.

Will just carry handbook in saddle bag to save any complications, but what next, doggy owners carrying vets certs??????

Welcome back Eddie - we've all missed you - well some of us anyway!

As ever take no notice of the whingers and moaners and although we personally don't have Ebikes I still think your information is a very valuable contribution for anyone that does.

Guest JudgeMental
sshortcircuit - 2014-11-01 3:20 PM

Will just carry handbook in saddle bag to save any complications, but what next, doggy owners carrying vets certs??????

s**te bags would be a start :D

Feespark just carry the COC. I thought that was all reasonably clear in the thread...

Don't get insurance confused with third party insurance...what the police are saying if you cant prove that the bike compliant by producing a COC you are riding a low powered moped that requires insurance etc... hence the 2000€ fine

and even if the bike has a EC sticker saying its compliant you are open to a 400€ fine if you cant produce the COC

Guest JudgeMental
Tracker - 2014-11-01 4:02 PM

Welcome back Eddie - we've all missed you - well some of us anyway!

Bless you........I still pop in to check my PM's for fan mail from time to time:D

JudgeMental - 2014-11-01 4:52 PM

and even if the bike has a EC sticker saying its compliant you are open to a 400€ fine if you cant produce the COC

Any idea whether it would it be as well to also carry a copy of the COC in Spanish or is it only a legal necessity to provide it in the language of the country of purchase?

One way to obtain cheap third party insurance is to join the Cyclists Touring Club, ( CTC). It is included with membership. This is what most lycra clad cyclists and club members do,( info for all those that think cyclists should have insurance ) .

Adult 41 pounds, senior 25 pounds, family 66 pounds. (pound key not working )

Brian B.

ps they cover electric bikes.

Guest JudgeMental
Tracker - 2014-11-01 5:01 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-11-01 4:52 PM

Any idea whether it would it be as well to also carry a copy of the COC in Spanish or is it only a legal necessity to provide it in the language of the country of purchase?

Believe it or not Richard......that I do now know :-D

Archived