Dogs dying on car ferries

Rowan Lee

As far as I am aware you can book kennels or cages on ferries, having seen the ones on Irish ferries, on the car deck, I would prefer not to. But preferable to being in a closed car.

I can only think the windows were closed with no water left for them.

I have travelled with dogs on P&O ferries for many years now and too wonder how this has happened. Before boarding, as long as you have paid for an animal, you are given a sticker advertising an animal inside to hang on the windscreen. For good measure I also put my "flashers" on. You are also advised to leave a window (in my case usually a roof vent) open. They then park you by the ventilation fans or on the open deck. If they don't then you should complain to the loading crew. In the past this has sometimes happened to me. My advice is to kick up a big stink until they move you. You should not be put beside the refridgerated lorries either due to the noise.

What a terrible thing to happen and my heart goes out to them.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Shows

We usually open the big roof vent on the MH but we don't leave any windows open. Mind you we've never travelled when it's been exceptionally hot, so the car deck certainly has never felt like an oven as we have got out.

If it ever did (maybe onan inter-island ferry somewhere in the hot mediterreanian?) I suppose we would have to think again, hang around until other folk have left the car deck and then restrain the dog within the MH, water bowl within reach, so we could open the windows with minimal risk of dog escape or damage by doing so.

We have dash aircon, so the MH would be comfortably cool as we arrived on the car deck and MHs are fairly well insulated, so hopefully the inside wouldn't heat up that rapidly.

I suppose we could get freezer blocks out to put next to the dog too!

Cal-Mac up in Scotland have the best system, you can take the dog/dogs up on deck with you, but only allowed inside in a Lounge set aside for Travellers with dogs, Vinyl Flooring/seats. seats about 10 passengers with their Dogs. Has always worked for us, when going to the Western Isles, a 5-6 hour journey.

If it was really hot, I would have INSISTED on going down to the Dogs, whether it was allowed or not.

P&O will probably just ban dogs travelling if too much is made of it.

Far better to go through the Tunnel, your Dog is with you all the time then.And it's only 20 mins or so.

Poor Animal not a pleasant death. Ray

Rayjsj - 2014-07-20 3:37 PM

If it was really hot, I would have INSISTED on going down to the Dogs, whether it was allowed or not.

Not sure how you would insist your way through a locked steel door to get into the car deck at sea but I suppose you could plead! :-|

Brittany Ferries allow you to attend to your dogs around half way through the crossing.

It's a pre-determined time which they will advise you of at the reception desk. You are supervised, and you can let your dog out for a wander if necessary for a few minutes.

Whilst this is a sad story, the same may have happened if the vehicle was parked up anywhere........ if no precautions were taken.

globebuster - 2014-07-20 9:01 PM

Whilst this is a sad story, the same may have happened if the vehicle was parked up anywhere........ if no precautions were taken.

I'd agree with that.

I really don't see this " petition " getting anywhere anyway.

It's asking DEFRA to " put pressure on ferry companies to change their policies "

Which ferry company - and which policy ?

Seems a bit too vague to me.

:-|

malc d - 2014-07-20 9:31 PM

It's asking DEFRA to " put pressure on ferry companies to change their policies "

The policy of allowing animals to stay in vehicles or perhaps the policy of not allowing passengers to wander around the car deck while the vessel is underway?

Met a woman in France who told me the following story.Used to live in Guernsey.Moving to mainland.Only way to transport dog was on the ferry.Temperatures rose to very dangerous levels on the car deck.People were pleading to be allowed to bring the dogs to the deck.They were refused.Things were so bad that they had to have a vet for one dog waiting on quay side with wet towels and an IV infusion.If I left my dog in the car on a hot day and she died I would be prosecuted for animal cruelty.They should have been prosecuted.They take money for the animals so they should provide for them.We only use Eurotunnel.

Defra apparently were very sympathetic when this woman contacted them and said they had been putting pressure on the ferries to change to no avail.Anything that gives them more power is good as far as I am concerned.

Muswell - 2014-07-21 9:07 AM

The policy of allowing animals to stay in vehicles or perhaps the policy of not allowing passengers to wander around the car deck while the vessel is underway?

As far as I know the policy of not letting passengers wander around the car decks is both for security and safety reasons.

If any vehicles were broken into, for instance, would the ferry company be liable ?

My experience of car decks is that it's not always that easy to " wander round " - often more like squeezing between vehicles - which could easily lead to accidents - particularly if it gets a bit choppy.

malc d - 2014-07-21 1:58 PM

Muswell - 2014-07-21 9:07 AM

As far as I know the policy of not letting passengers wander around the car decks is both for security and safety reasons.

If any vehicles were broken into, for instance, would the ferry company be liable ?

My experience of car decks is that it's not always that easy to " wander round " - often more like squeezing between vehicles - which could easily lead to accidents - particularly if it gets a bit choppy.

My understanding is that access to the vehicle deck by passengers is not allowed by the IMO, it's not a choice for the ferry companies. I think it was mainly to do with the integrity of watertight compartments, following the various Ro-Ro sinkings,and fire containment.

StuartO - 2014-07-20 5:54 PM

Not sure how you would insist your way through a locked steel door to get into the car deck at sea but I suppose you could plead! :-|

There are always 'unlocked doors' if you look for them, otherwise how do the crew get about ? I would have looked, if a simple request did not work. No pleading involved. 8-) Ray

Rayjsj - 2014-07-21 4:38 PM

There are always 'unlocked doors' if you look for them, otherwise how do the crew get about ? I would have looked, if a simple request did not work. No pleading involved. 8-) Ray

There are also CCTV cameras and alarms on the doors so its just not as easy as you think. I can understand why these areas are secured.

Rayjsj - 2014-07-21 4:38 PM

There are also CCTV cameras and alarms on the doors so its just not as easy as you think. I can understand why these areas are secured.

Well I will say it again.Doors locked.Nobody can go into the hold etc.Not even a nominated member of staff to check.The whole situation is RUBBISH.If they haven't got proper facilities they should stop taking pets and stop charging for them.

Poppy - 2014-07-22 7:33 AM

Well I will say it again.Doors locked.Nobody can go into the hold etc.Not even a nominated member of staff to check.The whole situation is RUBBISH.If they haven't got proper facilities they should stop taking pets and stop charging for them.

Cannot agree with you as being rubbish. Many, many travelers take pets across this route by making proper provision within the mode of transport and no problems. If ferries are going to make special provision then there will be a charge which they will moan about.

The tunnel is the obvious solution so why not use it?

Unfortunately the original report has not been very informative and we are unclear as to how the pets were transported only to say it was a very sad occurrence for these animals that should have been avoided.

Poppy - 2014-07-22 7:33 AM

.The whole situation is RUBBISH.If they haven't got proper facilities they should stop taking pets ....................

The decision to take pets on ferries is taken by their owners, not by the ferry company.

Just curious...

So do these ferry companies "insist" that the dogs remain shut up, in the owners' vehicles then?...and if so, isn't this made clear to the owners at the time of booking?...

...or are there other "options" available..? ("options" which incur an additional cost?)..

Although I agree that if a company is charging for a service, then that service should be up to scratch, at some point the owner has to bear responsibility.....

I would think that most owners assume that as the ferry companies take dogs they must have made some provision for them.Even if its only making sure that the hold stays at a reasonable temperature and MAYBE a nominated member of staff to go on regular patrols in vans where there are animals to see that there are no real problems.The lady from Guernsey was neither stupid or uncaring.They now only use Eurotunnel.One owner had a vet on standby with an Iv drip at the port so uncaring was he.

The ferries should also have emergency provision for when things start to go wrong.A nominated part of the deck for instance where animals can go if the hold temperature gets too bad.Airlines that take animals have the animal cabin airpressured the same way they have passenger cabins airpressured.They are supposed to be professional.

Its been the practice for years as to how pets are carried on ferries so the owner has to make the arrangements for the pets needs. Now doubt the ferry companies could provide the service you are suggesting at a cost of £50 > £100 each way which you would be willing to pay???????

Our relatively short ferry crossings, in our usually temperate climate, shouln't really be a problem fo transporting animals and certainly we've had no probems at all with Dover ferries as well as Eurotunnel. If the weather turned exceptionally hot on the day we were booked to cross on a ferry then I suppose we would have to consider abandoning the journey and going via the Chunnel instead - at worst it would cost £200-£300 I suppose and you dont know how much you are worth to within that.

And on longer ferries in hotter climates there are other options, such as "camping on deck" on some Greek ferries (I believe, never done it) . It is the pet owner's choice and people who talk of sneaking or even breaking in to the car deck give their pet some relief, and thereby perhaps compromising the ship's safety, are being rather silly.

We travel often between Finland and Germany or Sweden and in all cases we book a cabin and the dogs spend the trip in there,

the ferries also have a dog deck where they can be walked,

Mind you the crossing to Sweden is 12 hrs and to Germany about 28 hrs, so I guess keeping them in the vehicle would never be an option

Archived