Dash Cam pays for itself many times over.

Guest Had Enough

Guest Had Enough

On my first trip out in my new Hymer Behemoth Juggernaut (De Luxe) I had a nasty little accident.

A steep hill leading from my home was being resurfaced and there was a pinch point where exposed ironworks meant the road had to be narrowed. It was barely wide enough for my 'van and I noticed a dirty upturned cone lying in the gutter on the right.

I stopped, pointed to this cone and asked, using exaggerated lip movements, as the workman couldn't hear me, to have the cone removed.

He shrugged his shoulders and waved me through after he'd spread his arms out wide in the universal gesture that signifies: "Come on mate, you can get a bus through sideways."

So we progressed slowly and needless to say, my rear tyre caught this old cone and shoved it up into the wheel arch where it caused a lot of damage to the wheel arch cover and the skirt behind it.

The eventual cost will be about £1200 for the repair and my costs in taking it back to the dealer.

Fortunately I have one of these, http://www.blackvue.co.uk/ which I swap between my car and the MH.

The construction company sent my claim to its insurer and weren't exactly co-operative and refused to admit liability. The video, with sound, persuaded the insurer that I had a cast iron case and they recommended that the construction firm pays up, which it has.

I have no doubt that, without the video evidence, it would have been a "he said' she said' situation and I'd be £1200 out of pocket.

I'm still waiting for the parts from Germany, but it doesn't stop me using the 'van and most people wouldn't even notice the bent metal work.

The moral of the story? Get a decent dash cam. It could save you a fortune.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Tea Cup - 2015-02-06 5:06 PM
Hawcara - 2015-02-06 5:00 PMThere was a subscriber to this site who sold dash cams, but I can no longer find the link. :-S
You might find it was another forum, from where I bought mine.

Well HE has been about a bit ;-) ............

Also if travelling in Europe fit camera on to passenger side if driving with right hand drive vehicle, We drove to Benidorm last year with our brand new Auto Sleeper Broadway. On the second day of travelling through France we were on a narrow country road when looking at my sat nav I could see that we were approaching a very tight double Hairpin bend. I slowed right down to a walking pace as I drove around the first hairpin and a woman in an elderly Renault came speeding out of the other hairpin in front of me, I pulled over as far as I could on to the verge and stopped she ran down the side of our new van. The Auto Sleeper had a slight dent in the aluminium skirt a star graze in the rear wheel arch and green paint down the side this Tee cutted out. The Renault had badly damaged front wing and damaged headlamp, anyway when we came to look at the Dash cam recording there was no image of the Renault car at all, all's we had was a picture of the offside road and my voice saying she's hit us. The Damage to our Auto Sleeper Broadway was £750 repaired at Auto Sleepers factory. I'm now trying to Get my £450 excess from insurance, but they say if the French driver doesn't admit to it then I've lost it.

John.

The Damage to our Auto Sleeper Broadway was £750 repaired at Auto Sleepers factory. I'm now trying to Get my £450 excess from insurance, but they say if the French driver doesn't admit to it then I've lost it.

John.[/quote

If that happened in this country you would sue the other driver to get back your uninsured loss, ie the excess.

It may be worth asking the insurance company to do this or consult a solicitor or someone on this site might tell you how to do it. :-D

Hawcara - 2015-02-06 5:22 PM

The Damage to our Auto Sleeper Broadway was £750 repaired at Auto Sleepers factory. I'm now trying to Get my £450 excess from insurance, but they say if the French driver doesn't admit to it then I've lost it.

John.[/quote

If that happened in this country you would sue the other driver to get back your uninsured loss, ie the excess.

It may be worth asking the insurance company to do this or consult a solicitor or someone on this site might tell you how to do it. :-D

Cheers Hawcara.

John.

Guest pelmetman
artheytrate - 2015-02-06 5:29 PM

Hawcara - 2015-02-06 5:22 PM

John.[/quote

Cheers Hawcara.

John.

Hawcara has a point ;-) ..............put it down to experience :-| ................unless you want to spend the rest of your life taking calls from "Claims4U.com" *-) ..............

artheytrate - 2015-02-06 5:17 PM

Also if travelling in Europe fit camera on to passenger side if driving with right hand drive vehicle, We drove to Benidorm last year with our brand new Auto Sleeper Broadway. On the second day of travelling through France we were on a narrow country road when looking at my sat nav I could see that we were approaching a very tight double Hairpin bend. I slowed right down to a walking pace as I drove around the first hairpin and a woman in an elderly Renault came speeding out of the other hairpin in front of me, I pulled over as far as I could on to the verge and stopped she ran down the side of our new van. The Auto Sleeper had a slight dent in the aluminium skirt a star graze in the rear wheel arch and green paint down the side this Tee cutted out. The Renault had badly damaged front wing and damaged headlamp, anyway when we came to look at the Dash cam recording there was no image of the Renault car at all, all's we had was a picture of the offside road and my voice saying she's hit us. The Damage to our Auto Sleeper Broadway was £750 repaired at Auto Sleepers factory. I'm now trying to Get my £450 excess from insurance, but they say if the French driver doesn't admit to it then I've lost it.

John.

This is why I went for a Dual Lens Dashcam. The second camera lens is a wider angle lens. Between the 2 of them, there is a large area visible when set up.

Guest Peter James
I used to have one, until it picked up a picture of a funny looking dude coming the other way in a Hymer Behemoth who smiled and bust my camera :-S

Guest pelmetman
Peter James - 2015-02-06 6:42 PM

I used to have one, until it picked up a picture of a funny looking dude coming the other way in a Hymer Behemoth who smiled and bust my camera :-S

HE does appear to be a bit camera shy? :D ..................

Come on guys, be fair,I don't think it is very nice to keep ribbing (or baiting?) poor old Frank when he has posted a sensible and helpful posting having just been unlucky enough to damage his newly beloved behemoth.

I don't have a dash camera but it is worth thinking about.

Guest Peter James
Tracker - 2015-02-06 7:08 PM

Come on guys, be fair,I don't think it is very nice to keep ribbing (or baiting?) poor old Frank when he has posted a sensible and helpful posting having just been unlucky enough to damage his newly beloved behemoth.

So you recognize Frank 8-) I didn't know it was him, Sorry Frank ;-) - I've seen those Safe Driver / Phone number stickers on the back of lorries so I've got one to go on yours. It says

'If Driven Well Must Be Stolen, Phone Police' ;-)

Peter James - 2015-02-07 8:30 AM

I've got one of these for £9.59 that works OK: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111468833143?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What must those crooks in the camera shops be making out of them ;-)

That's the type I was using when the French driver ran in the side of our Auto Sleeper, as post above.

John.

Guest Peter James
artheytrate - 2015-02-07 8:58 AM

I've got one of these for £9.59 that works OK: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111468833143?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

That's the type I was using when the French driver ran in the side of our Auto Sleeper, as post above.

John.

Was that a fault of the camera, or just the direction it was pointing?

Guest Peter James

No doubt they all have limitations. Mine is usually, though not always, not clear enough to read a number plate, or whether I am a bit over the white line. And of course the incident may be out of its field of view altogether.

But even the expensive static operator controlled CCTV installed on our streets is often not clear enough either.

Peter James - 2015-02-07 9:30 AM

No doubt they all have limitations. Mine is usually, though not always, not clear enough to read a number plate, or whether I am a bit over the white line. And of course the incident may be out of its field of view altogether.

But even the expensive static operator controlled CCTV installed on our streets is often not clear enough either.

I think you're right.

These cameras range from quite cheap to quite expensive and the difference will be the quality of the picture.

In many cases the filming of an incidence itself is enough, but at times it is necessary to be able to read number plates.

Peter James - 2015-02-07 9:24 AM

artheytrate - 2015-02-07 8:58 AM

John.

Was that a fault of the camera, or just the direction it was pointing?

Hi Peter, I think the problem was that I was driving right hand vehicle with camera on drivers side, in future when abroad I will mount passenger side.

John.

Archived