Damp in our 2 year old Bailey Approach SE

julesnalice

Just wondered if anyone has had any damp issues with Bailey motorhomes. We were shocked and devastated to find that the floor of our Bailey has an extensive damp problem. It is only 2 years old and with only just over 3,000 on the clock!. The van is going back to Bailey for the work to be done under warranty but it has shaken our confidence. What if the damp returns after the warranty has ended? We are inclined to sell the van once the work is done. Has anyone else had this problem and had it successfully dealt with?

What's to worry about. You have six years standard warranty and a further four add on (mine was given by the dealer) so ten years in all. Van is going back to Bailey who better to deal with it. If this was a second time with this problem having been into Bailey then something to worry about.

Plenty of other makes have major damp issues along with added other miscellaneous defects all well documented.

julesnalice - 2015-02-26 9:23 PM

Just wondered if anyone has had any damp issues with Bailey motorhomes. We were shocked and devastated to find that the floor of our Bailey has an extensive damp problem. It is only 2 years old and with only just over 3,000 on the clock!. The van is going back to Bailey for the work to be done under warranty but it has shaken our confidence. What if the damp returns after the warranty has ended? We are inclined to sell the van once the work is done. Has anyone else had this problem and had it successfully dealt with?

I'm quite suprised to hear about this, I thought that their (Baileys) new construction method virtually eliminated Damp Ingress, I suppose floor damp could have come from a poorly fitted shower tray or wall boards. or even poorly fitted door or windows. Be interested what caused it (if they tell you ?).

They seem to be a Strange lot Bailey, ONLY accepting customers complaints/enquiries by E-mail.

whatever happened to 'Customer Interface' ?? and what happens if you are not Online ?

Ray

Rayjsj - 2015-02-27 6:16 PM

I'm quite suprised to hear about this, I thought that their (Baileys) new construction method virtually eliminated Damp Ingress, I suppose floor damp could have come from a poorly fitted shower tray or wall boards. or even poorly fitted door or windows. Be interested what caused it (if they tell you ?).

They seem to be a Strange lot Bailey, ONLY accepting customers complaints/enquiries by E-mail.

whatever happened to 'Customer Interface' ?? and what happens if you are not Online ?

Ray

Who told you they only deal by e mail. Do you have a Bailey to entrust us with your knowledge because I have one had dealings with them and was most certainly not left to converse only with e mails. They in fact have a nice Customer Service team who deal by phone and more to the point if you have a serious problem it gets to Director level where they even take an interest.

Why on earth wouldn't you worry about it!

There may be a fairly innocuous reason, but it could be a design flaw not highlighted in what are relatively new products.

Most ingress would appear to affect the floor area [on more modern vans] these days, probably caused by the poor protection/sealing I have evidenced.

I viewed a couple of Baileys the other week - can't say I was overly impressed with the sealant finish around some of the body mouldings.

Sorry to hear you're having problems julesnalice - Have you physically seen the damp, or is this based purely on meter readings?

Sunseekers2 - 2015-02-27 10:07 PM

Rayjsj - 2015-02-27 6:16 PM

Ray

Who told you they only deal by e mail. Do you have a Bailey to entrust us with your knowledge because I have one had dealings with them and was most certainly not left to converse only with e mails. They in fact have a nice Customer Service team who deal by phone and more to the point if you have a serious problem it gets to Director level where they even take an interest.

Thats re-assuring, no I don't have a Bailey, i have an Autotrail, their customer liason (in my experience) has been terrible. It's what I picked up from the CC website, and was apalled. If you say it's not true, thats fine. But have you checked lately ? Ray

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have a 2012 Bailey 625, it's a nice van but is has had it's problems

Firstly the nose cone started leaking allowing rain water ingress onto the cab roof, because the nose cone is slightly lower it holds bucket loads of water. You may have seen a video posted by a 740 owner. Mine was doing exactly the same when I drove forward up our drive.

In addition to this the van failed the habitation check through damp floors, readings from 60% to 25% all the way round. I'm extremely please to report that all remedial work has been carried out.

The stockist claimed Bailey had used a bad batch of sealent that had failed allowing ingress at floor level.

First noticed something was wrong when I saw mildew growth on the underside of a bed frame.

Touch wood it goes for the next check in three months.

There's more to tell but we think for two people the 625 layout and width is great

Guest JudgeMental

Buy in haste repent at leisure....

Evidence of issues with this manafacrturers problems all over the internet. Including a cracking video of unique built in water feature a somewhere..what's to worry about? Months off the road, missed trips for a start! No one deserves or needs this grief, particularly at this price level..

Bailey. All I've ever heard about them is problems with water ingress from brand new and one owner who's 740 actually caught fire when the cooker grill was ignited. This has resulted in a major rebuild and the owner is due to get it back on the road shortly. Fortunately no one was injured. It seems that the cause was due to an electrical fault behind the cooker.

• 1 month later...
My 745 passed its habitation check last year. We are having to downsize so the garage that is taking it in part exchange found almost the entire offside floor was damp, they reckon around 40hours work. Admittedly it is under warranty and is waiting to be checked by a Bailey repairer, but the reason we bought it was that it shouldn't have damp. Needless to say that I am gutted and that the work might mean we have to cancel 2 planned trips

Archived