Cost of LPG V elec

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Refillable LPG V electricity @ .45€ Per Kw

Would you use your LPG for heating and fridge or hook up, being charged 0.45 euros per kilowatt, we would probably just need the 1000 watt fan heater for an hour or so now and then....maths not a strong point of mine...... :-S

Guest JudgeMental
Mrs T - 2013-10-06 9:22 AM

Your bottle is empty

Nooooo both full :-D

Plus I have to pick Mrs M up at Alicante airport at half term and LPG station near there...so gas use not an issue, only away for a month anyway....

Interesting question!

Our Dometic fridge uses 2.5kw or 270 grams of gas in 24 hours according to the book.

My maths ain't brilliant but here goes -

So at 45c, which is roughly 38p per unit that is 2.5 x .38 = 96p electric

Or 270 g at say 70p per litre for refillable gas, which equates to very roughly £1.40 per kilo is 270 thousandths - or 27% - of 70p = 19p for gas.

No contest - gas everytime!

Unless I'm wrong and if so no doubt someone will soon tell me!

Guest JudgeMental

I thought fridge use would be negligible on either..interesting stuff...thanks. so I can extrapolate from that that gas heating cheaper then using hook up as well?

Plus fridge seems to run better on gas anyway.....I'll stick with the gas then....depending on weather. Never used heating at all last April.

I agree with Rich on the fridge now for the heating:-

Combi 4 consumes between 160-320g/h as you are in a warm climate say 15min at 320g/h to bring van up to temp and for the rest of the evening 2 hr @ 160g/h equals 400g of gas at £1.40/kg = £0.56.

Using a fan heater say on 2kw for first 20 min then 2hr over the rest of the evening at 1kw = 2.66kw/h @ 0.38 = £1.02

Again no competition gas every time, makes you wonder about some peoples obsession with hook-ups.

Tracker - 2013-10-06 10:06 AM

Or 270 g at say 70p per litre for refillable gas, which equates to very roughly £1.40 per kilo is 270 thousandths - or 27% - of 70p = 19p for gas.

Shouldn't that be £1.40x.27? still cheaper

Agreed, the Truma is is 4kw on full output, for a given amount of heat output the Truma on gas will be far cheaper. To obtain the same heat as the Truma on full output for 1 hour you would need to run your 1kw fan heater for 4 hours or 8 hours on the 500 watt setting. Which would work out at £0.50 for gas, £1.52 electric.

colin - 2013-10-06 11:52 AM

Shouldn't that be £1.40x.27? still cheaper

Your not wrong 38p for gas then.

A litre of propane contains about 26 Mj per litre or 7 kwh. (From wiki) Assume 85% efficiency for a boiler or much less for gas fridge. say 70p for a litre divide 6, say somewhere around 12p give or take a pence or two.

Ian

We hardly ever use hookups now unless they're included in the basic tariff (as some were on ACSII sites in Spain & France this summer).

Our refillable LPG is much cheaper than the usual nightly flat-rate for hookup, and will last us a whole week for fridge, cooking and hot water. Since we've never stayed that long anywhere without at least going for a drive, there's never a danger of running out.

Our "room" heater is diesel-fired.

Putting it in a nutshell (not the gas) to a numpty like me. I appreciate this is like the proverbial piece of string but would two 6Kg bottles of propane last me a week in this country say during October. I've got two 90amp leisure batts and SWMBO likes to stay warm during the early mornings and the evenings. She also likes to cook an evening meal. At the moment we use CC camp sites with 16amp hook up so no problems if you are careful and switch things off and on to stay under the 16amps but let's face it we pay for it and I would much sooner use smaller sites with no power but much cheaper.

Pete-B - 2013-10-06 7:20 PM

Putting it in a nutshell (not the gas) to a numpty like me. I appreciate this is like the proverbial piece of string but would two 6Kg bottles of propane last me a week in this country say during October. I've got two 90amp leisure batts and SWMBO likes to stay warm during the early mornings and the evenings. She also likes to cook an evening meal. At the moment we use CC camp sites with 16amp hook up so no problems if you are careful and switch things off and on to stay under the 16amps but let's face it we pay for it and I would much sooner use smaller sites with no power but much cheaper.

What type of heater do you have?

I would have thought so, 11kg lasts us 2-3 weeks in France in September often camping up in the mountains so using heat morning and an hour or two in the evening. Assuming your bottles are refillable but if exchange bottles probably not much difference in cost to electric.

Hi,

I did an experiment in spain this winter

Jan all electric ie everything heating , kettle etc 39 euro

Feb all gas except hairdryer and kettle 15 euro electric and one battle of repsol 15 Euro

Saving 9 euro per month. Temps were very similar this year

Richard

Interesting question!

Our Dometic fridge uses 2.5kw or 270 grams of gas in 24 hours according to the book.

My maths ain't brilliant but here goes -

So at 45c, which is roughly 38p per unit that is 2.5 x .38 = 96p electric

No contest - gas everytime!

Wise words mate

• 4 weeks later...
JudgeMental - 2013-10-06 9:18 AM

Refillable LPG V electricity @ .45€ Per Kw

Would you use your LPG for heating and fridge or hook up, being charged 0.45 euros per kilowatt, we would probably just need the 1000 watt fan heater for an hour or so now and then....maths not a strong point of mine...... :-S

Read this with great interest a few weeks ago,

should have paid more attention though, turned up at a campsite in Germany for 5 days electric 50c kwh.

TV, fridge, some heating and the hot water on 1800. This was the first time we had to pay per kwh on our trip. Electric bill 34euros.

Next campsite in Germany for three days with topped up gas bottles electric 55c kwh, only used electric for charging laptop etc and the bosses hair dryer. Electric bill 1.20 euro and used very little gas. didn't bother to top up as last pump had a 5lt min delivery.

gas all the way for me.

A recent 3 day stay at the CCC at Salisbury added £3.75 per night for a 'service' grass pitch (the only addition to a normal pitch was electric).

£3.75 x 7 = £26.25 for a week! £105 for a month......we run a 4 bed roomed detached house on a third of that per month, this has to be exploitation.

We only use leccy in the winter where we would be spending more time in the van requiring more powered services, along with less sun to recharge the batteries but, hey, come on CCC, this is only about recouping costs not fleecing your members!

Bought refillable gas system 7 years ago and without doing any maths would say that cost wise, and convenience, It has well paid for itself.

Taking one example, last year after touring Scoltand we topped up with lpg on our way home but decided to stop off at CCC Moffat for two days. We opted for no hook up. As I have an eating problem, all meals were cooked on gas and with the weather being chilly a lot of heating was used. On return home I topped up to replace the gas used at Moffat. The cost came to 94p! Off the top of my head I don't know how much 2 nights elec would have cost but I am sure not less than £2.50@ night.

John

Archived