Clunky sounds from "wheels"

HymerVan

Our "new" (2012) Citroen Relay has done 6K miles and is in winter storage. Engine is turned over fortnightly but vehicle driven about 50 miles today for first time in about 8 weeks.

Noticed clunky sounds coming from wheels/front transmission when going over small potholes/indentations in road. Vehicle handling perfectly no obvious play on wheels tyre pressures OK.

Only apparenrt problem is clunky sound we have not heard before.

Any suggestions from Sevel owners ?

Mine stands for a month then gets a 20 mile run. Sometimes I notice noises when going over bumps for the first few miles and then all is well again.

I could be wrong, but I put it down to shock absorber seals or suspension bushes becoming sticky with the lack of use. It only ever does it after a month of standing, and doesn't come back after those first few miles.

One source can also be the brake calipers rattling on their bearing pinions. When going over bumps and you get the rattling, very gently press the brake pedal and see if it stops. It could equally be the brake pads rattling about. What causes it to be worse after being parked up is rust on the discs wearing the pads quicker at 1st and also the high spots of rust pushing the pads clear of the disc. It should stop or be a lot less as the discs get cleaned of rust from braking. As I mentioned the test is gently pressing the brake pedal.

Jon.

Just to repeat what has already been said, "turning over" the engine on a stationary vehicle is the worst thing you can do. The engine must be brought up to full temperature with a good fast drive.

When it's hot give it some welly, hit the brakes hard a few times. Do this at the very least monthly.

Modern vans are made to be driven every day and have a hard life, if they are not used things will seize up, engines will corrode, fuel will go stale and so on.

I drive mine for 20 -30 miles every two weeks, and when it's warm turn the air con on, it stops the seals failing.

H

hallii - 2012-12-19 10:28 AM

Just to repeat what has already been said, "turning over" the engine on a stationary vehicle is the worst thing you can do. The engine must be brought up to full temperature with a good fast drive.

When it's hot give it some welly, hit the brakes hard a few times. Do this at the very least monthly.

Modern vans are made to be driven every day and have a hard life, if they are not used things will seize up, engines will corrode, fuel will go stale and so on.

I drive mine for 20 -30 miles every two weeks, and when it's warm turn the air con on, it stops the seals failing.

H

Couldn`t agree more, we give ours a good run out and generally make a day of it every 2 weeks or so.

Moisture is a big killer in engines and this way it burns it off properly and keeps the brakes nice and free by getting some heat in them as well.

It also airs the van and we have a bite to eat and a brew which also keeps everything moving.

I can understand it`s a little more difficult if the vans in storage and possibly several miles away from

where they live but with all that money invested in a van you`d think they`d make the effort.

Then there is a growing number of people who completely De-commision their van for winter and even

go to the extreme of putting it on a " SORN " just to save a few pounds. False economy in my mind.

Van now booked in to Arnold Clark for investigation.

The Van has been emptied so is being driven very light which makes we wonder if theory about sticky shock absorbers might be relevant as suspension not being challenged !

Time will tell and I will update as soon as resolved.

• 2 weeks later...
Car taken in yesterday mechanic agreed on test run that "something wasn't right" but Arnold Clark have not yet found a cause. Van going back on 7th January for further checking. They said they had acoustic equipment to attach to suspension parts which would assist diagnosis. Never heard of that before and hope it isn't b***s*it.

• 2 weeks later...

Van back to Arnold Clark today. They say that both front shock absorbers require replacement and that this is NOT covered by warranty. I await a cost.

Van was delivered on 18th April 2012 and has covered 5903 miles. I am not happy but I have not yet approached East Neuk to discuss as I had hoped this could be resolved under warranty without troubling them.

Hello HymerVan,

We have, over the years had vehicles on hire to drivers that could only be described as terrorists. They have banged the vans up and down kerbs with wild abandon and have only ever damaged the suspension top mounts. In addition we have Ducato vans of the same design as yours that have been generally abused for up to 270,000 miles and we have not fitted a single front shock absorber to any of them. These vans are now nearly 6 years old.

There is either a batch of faulty shock absorbers that have made their way onto your vehicle or there is a serious design flaw with your vehicle that concerns the conversion. The latter seems rather unlikely so there is absolutely no conceivable reason why this work should not be carried out under warranty.

If Arnold Clark or your supplying dealer state that you have to pay you should contact Fiat customer relations and ask them to explain why you should have to pay. Even if this item is excluded from your warranty booklet, for both struts to need replacement there would be substantial evidence of neglect or impact elsewhere on the vehicle for this to have occurred on the road in less than 12 months. You should ask them for advice on steps you could take to avoid the problem happening again within the next twelve months if all that you do is drive it or park it. This usually confuses them enough that they agree to pay for the work and throw in a complimentary service!

You may find that if Arnold Clark proceed with a warranty claim Fiat will probably authorise it but may want one of thier people to examine it first or during the job. Dealers can authorise certain work themselves but have to seek approval for anything out of the ordinary.

You must not agree to pay for this work.

Regards,

Nick

PS Sorry; just noticed that it's a Citroen not a Fiat! Change Fiat to Citroen where applicable; it is still absolutely correct!

HymerVan - 2013-01-07 5:01 PM

Van back to Arnold Clark today. They say that both front shock absorbers require replacement and that this is NOT covered by warranty. I await a cost.

Van was delivered on 18th April 2012 and has covered 5903 miles. I am not happy but I have not yet approached East Neuk to discuss as I had hoped this could be resolved under warranty without troubling them.

Totally agree with what Nick has said, there is no reason whatsoever that you should have to pay for this, they have failed whilst the vehicle is under warranty and with such a low mileage, even if it had been abused, they still should not have failed at this early mileage!

What reason are they giving for having to replace them?

I suggest you get in touch with Arnold Clark's immediately and tell them to cease any work pending a claim to Fiat.

New shocks required after 8 months of ownership on a new vehicle and not covered by warranty is a disgrace......or put another way 'someone is having you on' to put it politely.  Maybe a polite but firm conversation with them is in order with 'trading standards' dropped into the conversation a couple of times?

Good luck.

Hi HymerVan

its got to go back to supplying dealershocks should not be going wrong in less than 12 months/6kmiles its a sale of goods act situation where goods are not fit for purpose and supplier has responsibility to deal with NOT manufacturer. There are loads of previous threads on the forum covering this in detail.

Good luck

Docted

Thanks for contributions so far. I am fully aware of where the legal liability of the supplying converter begins and ends and I am very encouraged by Nick's advice (as well as other contributions).

Having said that I would prefer not to bother East Neuk unless I have to and in the first instance will pursue a robust discussion with Arnold Clark in the immediate future.

As far as I'm aware East Neuk Campervans (ENC) conversions are based solely on the Citroen Relay and, if there's a damper problem with your particular vehicle, there's the possibility that other similar-age ENC conversions will have been affected.

Arnold Clark seems to be treating you as a 'punter' and (Dare I say it?) one who may not have the technical experience to challenge a diagnosis that appears to be suggesting that failed dampers in a 9-months-old/5900 miles vehicle can be counted as 'fair wear and tear'.

If I were in ENC's position, I'd want any customer whose motorhome had this type of problem to "bother" me about it. Frankly, the sooner you contact ENC the better.

Must say I wholly agree with Derek. Also, if you do end up having to pursue legal liability with East Neuk, you should protect your interests by at least notifying them of the problem, and giving them the opportunity intervene. If you omit to do this, you will substantially weaken, and complicate, your case if it comes to that. Just give them a ring and explain the circumstances, and write then a letter in confirmation stating that you are trying to resolve the problem locally with an authorised dealership, but are obliged to put them on notice that that the van they supplied apparently has a serious defect.

Is there an alternative Citroen dealer you could go to for an alternative opinion. These vehicles don't really have front shockers as such, what has to be replaced is the entire front McPherson strut, which incorporates the shocker. To do that, either new springs will miraculously be required (because compressing them to transfer them is a time consuming fag), or the existing springs will have to be transferred. So, expect a large estimate!

But, I find it inconceivable that Citroen won't accept the failure under warranty. Have you checked the warranty wording for any such exclusion? This cannot be fair wear and tear at the mileage and age of your van. Arnold Clark, or someone at Arnold Clark, are/is taking the wee-wee! Ask them to get a Citroen tech down to inspect and verify that the fault is in the struts, and is not simply loose top mountings or a similarly simply fixed item. Trying to swing that onto you is tantamount to fraud. Someone needs their nether-end seriously abusing for that!

Archived