Cam belt replacement

THE SHEPHERD

Having just read this months MMM I thought I would follow their advice and replace the cam belt plus tensioners and auxiliary belt. I have a 2.2.Puegot Boxer 38 thousand miles 8 years old. I made contact with a main Peugeot dealer and was quoted approximately £ 700 I then asked my local garage who have always serviced and maintained the vehicle and was given a price of £300 plus vat, so it pays to shop around £400 is a lot of diesel even at today's prices. TS

Ask to see a drawing of what is being replaced, ask for everything that touches the belt to be replaced, Get this in quote, and in writing that this will be done. Let this be your insurance, as a damaged engine costs thousands.

Regards,

Brendan

Why should you have to replace "everything that touches the belt" for gods sake?.

Some engines have the diesel pump driven by the belt, it would be an expensive job to replace that as well.

The kit comes with the belt and tensioner rollers. Also why would the water pump need replacing after 38K miles?.

Why is that when an engine is fitted in a M/H the components suddenly become fragile and likely to fail early?.

Far too much scaremongering going on regards leisure vehicles if you ask me.

These vans were designed to have the nuts thrashed out of them by white van man and I'm sure no company making them would last long if they were not built like tanks. As I'm sure Nick (erroserve) would agree.

Peter, as water pumps can and do fail it makes sense to replace them as a matter of course when they are driven by the cam belt. If you don't replace the water pump and it subsequently fails at best you have a large bill for replacing the pump. At worst you have a wrecked engine and a bill for £2K upwards so it makes sense to replace the pump with the belt.

D.

Ive been making some enquiries this morning from wiser heads, and the question seems to be are we all being hyped up over cam belts, people seem to think the norm for replacement was around 60-70k, so has there been a dramatic rise in the number of belts failing and causing lots of destroyed engines or is the quality of belts not what it was. (answers on a post card please) TS

I can see the sense in replacing a cambelt on a vehicle ( motorhome ) which spends a lot of it's life with the engine not running, at a time interval rather than a mileage interval. I guess the belt could be slightly 'stretched' where a tensioning roller rests on one part of the belt for long periods.

I really can't see the need to replace the tensioning and guide rollers or water pump at a time period though. Roller bearings / pump bearings will not be wearing out when not running.

Harvey ( not an expert )

According to Autodata the 2.2 boxer engine cam belt does drive the water pump and Peugeot's recommended replacement intervals are 10 years/96,000 miles under normal driving conditions or 5 years/80,000 miles under adverse conditions.

My advice would be to change it after five years simply because if it fails, and they can do, it will destroy your engine.

D.

Hi. I had a replacement cam kit, and aux belts replaced on my 2.8 id TD, by Guest Trucks. It was 7 years old, and had done 36000km, they never mentioned water pump, in fact they gave me the old belts back, saying that there were no signs of deterioration with them. I always use" Bars Leaks" coolant protection and pump lubricant, never had to replace a water pump. I do change my vehicles before 100000 miles though. (lol) .

Brian B.

thebishbus - 2011-02-08 11:47 AM

Hi. I had a replacement cam kit, and aux belts replaced on my 2.8 id TD, by Guest Trucks. It was 7 years old, and had done 36000km, they never mentioned water pump, in fact they gave me the old belts back, saying that there were no signs of deterioration with them. I always use" Bars Leaks" coolant protection and pump lubricant, never had to replace a water pump. I do change my vehicles before 100000 miles though. (lol) .

Brian B.

The 2.8 engine doesn't drive the water pump from the cam belt.

D.

Harvey - 2011-02-08 10:00 AM

I can see the sense in replacing a cambelt on a vehicle ( motorhome ) which spends a lot of it's life with the engine not running, at a time interval rather than a mileage interval. I guess the belt could be slightly 'stretched' where a tensioning roller rests on one part of the belt for long periods.

I really can't see the need to replace the tensioning and guide rollers or water pump at a time period though. Roller bearings / pump bearings will not be wearing out when not running.

Harvey ( not an expert )

Harvey,

Though you declare yourself a non expert, your first point is quite valid.

Your second point is completely wrong.

It is very rare indeed for a cam belt to break or wear out but not impossible. It is much more likely that the tensioner bearings will fail and it is absolutely imperative that these are changed along with the bolts with which they are fixed/adjusted. Not up for debate; must be done!

The Peugeot 2.0 and 2.2 before 2006 have a very simple water pump with a plastic impellor, and from Euro Car Parts it costs less than £20, so why would you not change it when you do the cam belt?

Nick

Dave Newell - 2011-02-08 6:54 AM

Peter, as water pumps can and do fail it makes sense to replace them as a matter of course when they are driven by the cam belt. If you don't replace the water pump and it subsequently fails at best you have a large bill for replacing the pump. At worst you have a wrecked engine and a bill for £2K upwards so it makes sense to replace the pump with the belt.

D.[/quote

peter - 2011-02-08 10:19 PM

Dave Newell - 2011-02-08 6:54 AM

D.[/quote

And this is an example of what happens when Peter posts after 10.00pm :D .

D.

• 2 weeks later...

I know they use to rattle, but for the life of me I cannot understand why cam chains were abandoned especially on a diesel engine, I have one on my Avensis car, oh well progress I guess ( is it ? )

I used to have an FX4 taxi cab in the 1970's, 350000 miles and no cam-belt changing malarkey on that either.

Never been very comfortable with a rubber band that can snap wrecking the engine, oh well..............................best not to worry I guess

• 3 weeks later...
What's all this rubbish about changing everything that comes into contact with the cam belt when you renew it! Do you change all the engine parts when you burn out an exhaust valve? Do you heck! If your belt is past its sell by date, change it. If your water pump is 'groaning', change it! Otherwise, leave it alone.

Guest Tracker

On the basis that if you leave a thing alone it may well - or may not - go on happily for years but once you disturb it it is much more likely to fail, it makes perfect sense to me to replace a relatively cheap water pump as well as belt tensioners that are known to fail at the same time as a belt.

I would expect an unstretched new belt and tensioners to place some extra strain on an established water pump and that alone might trigger failure at some very inconvenient time and place, soddes law being what it is.

I don't think the analogy with an exhaust valve is comparing like with like and could be misleading - sorry Mike!

The Fiat service schedule tells you and the dealer what needs to be done at the appropriate service interval. I had mine done at the Fiat dealer in Longton last year. It cost round about £770 including a full service and MOT.

Cost was not the issue for me, I wanted reasonable assurance it would be done right and with little notice. The garage that was going to do, it let me down at the last minute.

Archived