Avtex TV

cleddytanhouse

My Auto Trail Tracker came with a drop down Avtex TV installed in the front of the MH. The bedroom area also has a pre wired mounting section for a second TV.

I fitted a Samsung mains only TV myself in the bedroom area.

The Samsung cost approx 50% against the Avtex.

In anything less than a perfect strong signal area, the Samsung still works fine, but, the Avtex picture keeps breaking up.

Has anyone else found that Avtex are a problem with aerial reception?

Hi

Just a thought. I bought a small TV and bossted aerial, which I fitted myself. It wasn't an Avtext, but similar in appeance etc.. The signal was very disappointing until I realised, that the TV wasn't suppling any power to the boosted aerial. I bought an inline power spliiter adapter and presto! All good.

Just check with a voltmeter, that the TV supplies a voltage (usually 5v) on its aerial socket. If your aerial needs 12v (as some do), then you'd need the splitter in any case.

Regards

Alan

Chris you might be correct re the Avtex unit. On our last trip that took in locations of indifferent TV reception ou unit often did not achieve the same quality of reception as the TV's around our immediate location. I have considered a satellite installation but at around £1500 for a roof mounted unit I decided to buy the box set of Inspector Montilbano DVD's, a couple of jazz CD's a box of wine and a bag of pork scratchings. The Avtex builtin DVD player works a treat, the wine is a great relaxer and the scratchings keeps my Dentist in work! Problem solved.

I have a recent Avtex tv and I have to agree that the reception is not as good as it could be. I have a cheap second hand 16" Technika which picks up more channels than the Avtex when plugged in to the same system. eg The Technika is picking up Quest very well, whereas the Avtex does not show it at all. Admit that the Avtex has better viewing angle.

We have the new Avtex in our 2015 AutoTrail Frontier and it is the best TV we have had. Perfect picture and reception - we have used it all over France and many parts of England and have found even the HD picture great. We have even had good reception when the aerial amplifier is showing a yellow LED when the aerial is still in its travelling position.

Have you checked the aerial connections to the TV and the aerial amplifier ?

Hi Garry

Hope you are looking after that AutoTrail. You sure live the good life out in Oz don't you :-D

Best wishes to you and yours

Alan

Yes, I have checked all the connections and they are all ok. It appears that my problem is how the Avtex TV processes the signal. Obviously the Samsung in the bedroom area uses the same aerial signal and processes it much better.

The MH is going to dealers this week for other snagging items after 3 months of use and hopefully, they can sort this issue with Avtex at the same time.

We have had several Avtex TV's that have given faultless performance previously but the 16" one in the present van, now three years old, has always suffered from 'pixelation' even in areas of good signal reception. Initially, as our home area was the last to switch to digital, I thought it was simply due to poor quality signal but after the switchover it just continued. Even in Spain it picked up all the digital channels but broke up badly at times. It was just by chance that my wife took a call on the mobile and I noticed that the TV instantly started to pixelate. At home I plugged the TV into the house aerial and, of course, had a very good signal. Tried the mobile phone near it and as soon as that was used the picture broke up.

I spoke to an engineer at Avtex who said he had not heard of the problem and thought it may be our mobile causing it but, more often than not, we were not using our mobiles when it happened. However, I pointed out that there was a good chance that there may be someone else in the vicinity on a site who may be using theirs and that any mobile phone (or indeed other wireless gadgets) could be disrupting the signal.

They arranged to have a courier collect the TV the next day, repaired it and returned it three days later with a new motherboard installed which seemed to cure the problem. Unfortunately, shortly after, we suffered a second fault. This time when the TV was initially turned on in DVD or TV mode the picture would be a darkened shadow. Moving the set around seemed to switch it back to a bright picture but eventually that stopped working until we found just one spot on the front/side of the set where if you applied some slight pressure the picture would return to normal. Once again the engineer arranged to have it collected, repaired and returned in just a couple of days. This time he thought it was a loose connection on the inverter.

So far it has behaved OK and it is hard to fault their repair service.

David

• 1 month later...
Yes, same here. Just returned from a site where everyone else could watch all channels. Mine wouldn't pick up a single channel and the lady opposite brought her Grundig TV to our MH and managed to tune into 115 channels, all of which were perfect. The 217DRS unit that we have is going to be returned for the third time today as it's useless and I'm going to ask for a refund.

This is what everyone with an Avtex tv set needs; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/avtex-aerial-/111788824729?hash=item1a07221899

I have one and don't even need to stick it outside the van. I just plug in and leave inside on a shelf. Picks up every channel including Freeview and of course, when in European countries, just set it to the country, scan, and it tunes in all foreign tv.....Poland, Germany, Austria, wherever.

Gives superb quality definition too.

My advice would be to contact Avtex,

Over the years I have had problems . queries and they have been very helpful and replaced controllers free of charge when outside the warranty period.

When the time comes, I would have no hesitation in purchasing a replacement from them

Rgds

• 2 weeks later...

I have 3 Avtex TV's, the last one I bought was supposed to be the Bee's Knee's, what a load of rubbish. Last year in Spain all we could receive was Spanish programmes whilst plugged into Villasol's Satelite and campers around us were enjoying perfect UK pictures. This year I took the earlier model with us, plugged it in and received perfect UK pictures. It had an analoque station whereas the new one didn't, I only upgraded it because of all the marketing publicity saying that it automatically tuned in to all the satellite systems. Was I doing something wrong with the new one? Just to mention we used the same camp site plot as last year and the same socket.

The common issue with the cheaper tv's is often the viewing angle. Having started this thread, complaining about Avtex, the one thing that I cannot complain about, is the viewing angle.

You certainly don't have to sit right in front of the set to get a good picture (When the set is actually working properly!!!)

I a MH it is not normally possible to sit without looking at an angle at the tv.

Archived