Autosleepers- Duetto or Symbol ?

ronaldo

Just returning to the fold after many years sailing. We have decided that a used Autosleepers fits our wants but can't decide which base vehicle is more reliable and better in most respects, the Ford Transit or Peugeot Boxer. Comments would be appreciated.

Please read the following thread that tells of a fault in the peugeot/Fiat X250 base vehicles. Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen transmission defect (5) Pages: 1... 20 21 22 I personally would not touch a peugeot/Fiat X250 base vehicle for any motorhome.

Ford I can heartily endorse. I had an X250 base and got shot of it after a few months and bought a Ford based motorhome so I have personal experience on which to base my judgement. Autosleeper also do VW and Merc based conversions.

Just take care and do not always believe the stories told to you by dealers that the X250 problem has been resolved.

good luck Mike

we looked at both and ended up with the duetto no regretts.

the duetto being ford is far superior in the vehicle side of things, better cabin better drive better road holding better everything driving.

the symbol had a dreadful cabin layout kept catching my head on the front shelf, has dreadful everything drive.

But the habitation side the symbol is better laid out and has been better planned with more room.

so i would say what comes first the drive or habitation

ronaldo - 2010-03-25 8:39 PM

Just returning to the fold after many years sailing. We have decided that a used Autosleepers fits our wants but can't decide which base vehicle is more reliable and better in most respects, the Ford Transit or Peugeot Boxer. Comments would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

It would be helpful if you could say how old a vehicle you are considering buying as Auto-Sleepers has used the Duetto and Symbol model-names repeatedly over the years employing different versions of Ford and Peugeot chassis. I think "Duetto" goes back to the mid-1990s (Transit Mk 5) and "Symbol" to around 2000 (Peugeot Boxer X/244).

Mike's comments relate to current-model Boxers (roughly 2007-onwards) but won't apply to their predecessors.

We have had two Duettos, the first on a 1999 MK5 and the second on a 2007 MK7 Transit. Both excellent and this year will have covered over 100,000 miles of continental touring between them both.

We spend between 4 to 5 months a year in the van, spread over two main trips and have not experienced any problems either with the accommodation or the driving characteristics of the van.

We chose the Duetto because we can sleep across the van and thus have no need to move the front seats when making up the bed; something which we would have had to do with the Symbol.

spospe - 2010-03-26 11:06

We chose the Duetto because we can sleep across the van and thus have no need to move the front seats when making up the bed; something which we would have had to do with the Symbol.

I am 6 feet 3 inches and my wife and I sleep across the 2008 Symbol without utilising the front seat.

Which way you sleep depends on how tall you are and the way you lie down to sleep. I am 5ft 10in and my wife 5ft 4in and so we have no trouble sleeping across the width of a Duetto (on either a MK5 or a MK7 Transit) without having to move the front seats at all. This may, or may not be a consideration when choosing between a Duetto or a Symbol, but it is perhaps something you could try out for yourselves?

Hi

Had a duetto in past (2002 model)and could sleep across - just - but feet always touched the side and got cold late/early season!

Also have had both ford and fiat x250 - ford had a number of mechanical failures over 3 years (25000 miles) including a warning light problem that kept recuring - very annoying and various brake related problems (warning lights for no reason and fluid leaks). Had a fiat 9 months - 5000 miles - one minor problem with engine management light quickly fixed albeit very annoying at time.

There is no right or wrong - look at what you want out of the m/home - layout etc - and then see if happy with base vehicle - to my mind thats the secondary consideration - you spend more time living in it than driving it! For us only layout/size that suited was on a fiat so no option.

Peter

We have a Warwick which is a bit larger than the Symbol been very pleased overall have had no problem with the Peugeot, though still get water on the engine cover at times. The actual drive is very good have`nt had any issues with reverse though gearing is high. Habitation side has been good except for one seat requiring recovering due seam parting. Having had a Coachbuilt and "A" Class actually prefer the PVC, few problems with routes and so much easier to keep clean due painted steel surface.

mirage. I've been reading about the X250 on various forums as I'm picking mine (Comfortmatic) up next Thursday. If you are getting water into the engine compartment check that it is not getting into the fuse box as this is a problem that has been the cause of several reported breakdowns.

I thank everyone for their replies. Derek Uzzel has made a comment about the year of the vehicles we are interested in. I should have clarified that in my post - apologies. The Duetto is 2004 and the Symbol 2005. Further comments would be welcomed.

Hi, ronaldo,

This is my first-ever post on this (or any other) Forum!

We are also very new to this camper van/motor home lark!

However, we were fired up by hiring a 'van in New Zealand (2004 Fiat Ducato MWB van conversion)at the back end of last year, spending five amazing weeks exploring both of the islands of that stunningly beautiful country and meeting its friendly people.

Like you, we fancied an 'Van by Autosleepers, but finances would not stretch to a new one. Much research on the internet identified three models: Duetto (ford) Symbol (peugeot) and Topaz (Volkswagen). The VW, at the age that we could afford, would prabably have a petrol engine (heavy on fuel and not likely to last as long as a diesel) or a non-turbo diesel (agricultural) and, on the habitation side, had its wash room across the rear of the vehicle, without an opening back door.

The Duetto & Symbol had the layout that we had met in N.Z.and were happy with.

In the end it came down to availability locally -- our local dealer (Webbs Motorhomes) had a very clean 2002 Symbol with 36,000 miles on the clock, plus a year's warranty, so we 'plumped' for that and are very 'chuffed' with it, so far -- only had it since 1st. wk. in March.

If we could have stretched our budget we would have probably gone for a Symbol with the more modern 'Common rail' TDi engine -- our manual TD is okay, but not as smooth as the Fiat ( in NZ) which I think, is similar to the engine in the 2005 Symbol that you have in mind.

As far as living in it is concerned -- we, like a previous contributor are 5'10"& 5'4" and can fit comfortably across the 'van in bed, without having to use the extra cushions -- which gives us useful stowage under the sofa/bed for clothes etc.

If you google 'Our Autosleepers Symbol' you will find a useful article by a couple who toured extensively in one for about five years -- many useful tips in it. I haven't 'crawled over' a Duetto so can't tell you much, but would probably have found the choice difficult between the two -- a Ford van cab certainly has more space and I might not keep hitting my head on the ceiling!

Hope this helps, best wishes in your search.

ronaldo - 2010-03-28 8:40 PM

I thank everyone for their replies. Derek Uzzel has made a comment about the year of the vehicles we are interested in. I should have clarified that in my post - apologies. The Duetto is 2004 and the Symbol 2005. Further comments would be welcomed.

In that case my earlier post about our 2008 Symbol ES is irrelevant as the 2005 Symbol will be smaller.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone who responded to this thread, sorry I have been silent for a while. The reason being that we found an Autosleepers Duetto fairly near us - rather newer than we wanted -a 2008 model but after a test drive fell for it and raided the piggy bank. We collected it yesterday and enjoyed the relatively short drive home. Will add more when we have tried it out.

Symbol Owner - 2010-03-28 10:02 PM

. . . .

If you google 'Our Autosleepers Symbol' you will find a useful article by a couple who toured extensively in one for about five years -- many useful tips in it. I haven't 'crawled over' a Duetto so can't tell you much, but would probably have found the choice difficult between the two -- a Ford van cab certainly has more space and I might not keep hitting my head on the ceiling!

Hope this helps, best wishes in your search.

Hi,

As the couple referred to in the quote I can confirm that we were very happy with our 2001 model Symbol!

See our website below for more info!

We aren't tall so easily slept across the van and bed making was easy compared to some vans we looked at.

We've now bought an Adria Twin with fixed bed and lots of storage on the latest Fiat X250 and are happy with it. It even reverses ok (so far!) and is very pleasant to drive. Haven't driven a recent Transit to compare.

Steve

Archived