Autosleeper Eton review 2006 model

Woodcraft

We are looking to buy our first motorhome and take a fancy to the Eton but cannot find any reviews.

Is there an Eton owner out there that can give me their opinion of Eton

There will only be two of us using it, we plan y=to use in the UK and hopefully spend a few moths in the sun in the winter

Thanks

Nick & Pauling

We have recently purchased an Eton. Ours is on the mk7 Transit chassis and I believe an 06 model would be on the mk6. The body conversion is to all intents the same though. We got ours to replace a Nuevo (we like the layout but didn't fancy an X250 chassis). Not camped in it yet but have used it for days out. Drives very nicely and is very comfortable. I would have preferred it to be 6 inches shorter but there you go. There was indeed a test in WM but it doesn't tell you very much. I have some reservations about the diesel heater. It works very well but I am not sure about current consumption. There is a lot of leisure battery capacity however so it should be ok. For 2 people I think you will find it very comfortable and at less than 6 metres you can get it into car parks and get lower ferry rates. Good luck with it.

I believe there is the option with some Auto-Sleepers models to choose a heating system comprising a 'traditional' Truma gas/230V convector fire + Truma gas/230V water-boiler instead of the Eberspacher diesel-fuelled set-up.

I don't know if this is the case for Eton, but it's probably the better choice as far as quietness and flexibility are concerned, and as long as it doesn't impact too much on the vehicle's interior layout. Worth asking about if buying a new Auto-Sleepers as I suspect the option may not be well publicised.

There is definately the option to go for a 'traditional' Truma gas/230V convector fire + Truma gas/230V water-boiler instead of the Eberspacher diesel-fuelled set-up. I took up this option on my 08 A/S Windsor.

And yes you are correct Derek it is not well publicised.

On my van the factory removed the already fitted Diesel heater and replaced it with the Truma setup. It is a fairly low cost option of a few hundred pounds.

The Truma option was only offered to us as a last resort when we looked to be walking away from buying our Windsor and it wasnt as if it was a difficult taks as the Gemini model that was available then had the same shell and the Truma set up as standard

It was yourself Roger who advised me to get the Truma installed on my Windsor and I am so glad that I did. As you say it is not automatically offered, rather a case of insisting on it as a condition of sale . I am sure that I thanked you with a PM but pleased to be able to say so publically.

Cheers Mike

The truma heater option is shown on the AS price list but is a bit vague in the brochure. In our case we bought a pre reg vehicle so the diesel heater was already installed. I have mixed views. Despite a lot of fiddling I never could get the Truma to stop rattling in our Nuevo and in comparison the Eton seems very quiet on the road. The Airtronic does heat the van very quickly and it can be used while driving though I can't think we will want to do that. We normally use hook up sites so current drain is not really an issue and we already have a 500w panel heater from a previous van so will probably carry that. You can get an Airlectric heater to add on to the Airtronic. Does anybody have any experience of that. Woodcraft I could send you a copy of the WM test if someone can assure me that it does not infringe copyright.

I've no hands-on experience of the Airlectric feature for Eberspacher Aitronic D2/D4 heaters. It's been around for a while and there's a fair bit of information about it on

http://www.eberspacher.com/products/air-heating/airlectric.html

I don't know if Auto-Sleepers offer Airlectric as an option, but it would certainly be simpler to have it as an integral part of the original heating system rather than retro-fit it.

Thanks for the link that is useful information. AS don't offer airlectric as an option but I guess they would fit it in their service centre if we asked. One of the disadvantages of buying a pre reg van is that it comes as it comes so it was to late to specify it at the time of order. On the other hand we could touch and feel the van we were interested in, drive it away 2 weeks after agreeing to purchase and saved a fair bit so I am not complaining. I am pretty confident that the heating system will be fine for us but it is nice to know that there are possible options if needed.

Archived