Alternator belt change on a Peugeot Boxer-advice requested

BrianBW

Hi Brian - I think Dave's right, in the sense that such a belt change is just about the simplest mechanical job there is, especially on a simple engine like the one in your van.

It's really only a question of slackening the alternator locating and adjustment bracket bolts, easing alternator towards engine block, removing old belt, putting on new belt, easing alternator back outwards to get new belt tight ........often gently prising it with a screwdriver between alternator body and engine so as to retain tension on the belt as you then re-tighten the bolts. Run it for a few minutes, then check tension again.

If you really haven't done that sort of job before, and you do want to tackle it yourself, then why not just search google and youtube for "how to change alternator belt".........you will find dozens of places/videos that tell/show you.

Many thanks for all the replies.

I agree if one is not capable then take it to a garage.

Its just I have ordered the belt, taken off the under protection tray and slackened off the adjuster and taken off the belt, ready for install. I didn't want to install without some advice as it is the 1st time installation of a new alternator belt for this 15year old van.

Internet advice suggests a strait edge to check the bearings from engine shaft to alternator, and ensure the belt can be peeled over as a guide to tightness. Not forgetting to clean off the rubber debris. :-D

Guest Peter James

Many thanks for your excellent and very interesting website BrianBW, which I have found by clicking the www link under your profile.

Well, Guys, job done. Although I had to take off the Powers assisted steering pump belt as it is on 'top' of the Alternator belt. Slackening off the PAS pump bolts was the hardest as the shaft bolts were 'solid.' Had to overnight soak them with 3in1. Having removed the alternator belt, I found it was in 2 parts 40% of its length. That would explain the belt dust and the squeel on start up, also a running 'Sharshing' sound! :-D

Archived