... and the van went bumpety, bumpety, bump!

Mel B

No, not an accident!!! 8-)

When we took the van out for a run the other day we noticed that it had developed a 'clunk' when the front offside wheel went over a pothole, bump in the road etc. After reading about something like this on the forum previously I did a search and found the thread but the cause of that had been something rattling around under the drivers seat *-) which wasn't the problem with ours.

So yesterday we took it to the local Fiat garage for them to see what was wrong - it turns out that the front bump stop has 'gone walkies' ... no idea how, but it ain't there anymore apparently - hubby's had a crawl under but can't see where it should be.

Fiat have ordered one in for us which will hopefully come next week so we can get it fitted and then there'll be no more bumpety, bumpety bump hopefully and we can have a trip out to the seaside weather permitting!

:->

Interesting Me,l because the as yet not reliably diagnosed problem om my Citroen Relay has been attributed by the Citroen main dealer in Aberdeen to "moving" bump stops.

See my post "Clunky Sounds from Wheels"

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Clunky-sounds-from-wheels-/29815/

Actually there is no certainty that that theory is correct

The bump stop is a sort of tubular "spring" which sits at the top of shock absorber strut. You can get an idea from

I assume that the one fitted to the Ducato is of the same general nature. I find it difficult to understand how it could have disappeared but there are others on this forum with greater knowledge than I.

I would however be very interested in hearing the outcome in your case. Is the clunking on one side only or both sides ?

There are things happening with my own van which I don't yet want to air on an open forum at present but I hope to have a resolution soon and to air that resolution on the Forum.

Regards

Laurence

The front end must be getting a right hammering to cause the damper to completely compress right to the top.

I'd get the shockers checked out for oil leaks and renewed if leaking.

Appart from anything else that sort of compression could snap the spring.

Check the spring out to see if it's broken, it can be quite hard to spot sometimes as well.

I am assuming that the bump stop is a resilent material co- axial with the suspension leg.

To be effective it has to be strong enough to cushion the weight of the van crashing down after negotiating something like a traffic calming bump too fast or when the vehicle hits a huge pothole.. Most of the time it just sits there idle but a sure as hell its a very tough item and extremly unlikely to break.

Even if it split down its length due to impact due to its resilence it would probably still stay in place around the leg. The convoluted part ( boot) shown in the U tube clip is purely a shield for the polished leg and relativly weak.

I strongly suspect if the bump stop missing its because was never there in the first place.

I suggest hubby goes underneath again and looks at the nearside, the boot will obstruct the view of the bump stop but if the boot is there but missing from offside there is the answer.

Even if the leg had received a massive impact dislodging the bump stop I would expect to find the remenants of the boot still in place around the leg.

Beware of incoming bull poo

HymerVan - 2013-02-15 5:54 PM

I assume that the one fitted to the Ducato is of the same general nature. I find it difficult to understand how it could have disappeared but there are others on this forum with greater knowledge than I.

I would however be very interested in hearing the outcome in your case. Is the clunking on one side only or both sides ?

There are things happening with my own van which I don't yet want to air on an open forum at present but I hope to have a resolution soon and to air that resolution on the Forum.

Regards

Laurence

It is just on the offiside, not a peep out of the nearside at all. It was absolutely fine when we last took it out last, probably about a month ago due to the awful weather, and we don't treat it roughly when we do so haven't driven it hard over bumpy ground to cause the bump stop to spring out of place, so I'm not sure what's happened. We'll see how it is once they've fitted the new bump stop next week - if it isn't right, then we'll give them what for.

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2013-02-15 9:19 PM

HymerVan - 2013-02-15 5:54 PM

Regards

Laurence

It is just on the offiside, not a peep out of the nearside at all. It was absolutely fine when we last took it out last, probably about a month ago due to the awful weather, and we don't treat it roughly when we do so haven't driven it hard over bumpy ground to cause the bump stop to spring out of place, so I'm not sure what's happened. We'll see how it is once they've fitted the new bump stop next week - if it isn't right, then we'll give them what for.

Its probably that sign writer from Bedford has done something to get his own back :D

George Collings - 2013-02-15 8:11 PM.................Even if it split down its length due to impact due to its resilence it would probably still stay in place around the leg. The convoluted part ( boot) shown in the U tube clip is purely a shield for the polished leg and relativly weak.

I strongly suspect if the bump stop missing its because was never there in the first place..............

I agree with George. Especially as the bump stop has the shroud around it, to go missing it would have to split the shroud, and exit via the gaps between the spring coils. Seems a bit unlikely. I assume it is supposed to be held in place at the top of the shaft, just below the strut top bearing. However, how about it has come away from its top housing, leaving it to be tossed up and down the damper shaft as the suspension rises and falls? That would probably make quite an odd noise, consistent with what Mel, and Laurence report. Looking at Laurence's video clip, it also seems to me quite feasible as an explanation. Maybe that is what the Fiat dealer means by gone missing, not that it has completely disappeared?

Guest Peter James

Not sure about the front, but the X2/50 rear does not have 'bump stops'

They are 'spring assisters'

The difference is important because some people wrongly think the springs are worn when the suspension is down to the spring assisters - vans have wrongly failed the MOT and springs been needlessly replaced.

HymerVan - 2013-02-16 9:45 AM

Found another u-tube video which shows bump-stops (although these will not be exactly the same as on a Sevel the general set will I believe be the same).

This may assist further in understanding the contributions from Brian and George.

Thanks all - HymerVan, that has really made it 'clear' what George and Brian are talking about (that makes them sound like an 'alternative' comedy show to "George and Mildred"!!!!

Actually this one may be better still (although it is a rear strut). You can see about 5mins into the video the shock absorber strut being withdrawn from the top mount and the bump stop being removed and fitted onto the new strut. The bump stop is sandwiched between tow metal plates and contained within a shroud.

There are a couple of Ducato front struts currently being advertised on e-bay.

http://tinyurl.com/ar8vjyr

http://tinyurl.com/bgwdnvt

Looking at the photos one might think that (in Mel's case) if the vehicle is jacked up at the front it should be fairly easy to see a difference between the strut that's missing its bump-stop and the one that still has it.

Archived