* 1st Motorhome Advice? * Autotrail?

lfc_sarah

I posted a thread a few weeks ago about being interested in the Autotrail Chieftain.

We have since changed our minds and are now thinking of the smaller Autotrail Delaware but the new 2015 model.

We are due to rent a Delaware after our holiday to Florida next week but interested in opinions on this motorhome or Autotrail in general?

They say that you never get buying your first motorhome right first time but I'd like to have a good go at it! Ha!

Thank you for any help

My suggestion, before you buy anything, is to follow this link: http://tinyurl.com/8973u2p and then buy the book and read it. It is written by motorhomers for motorhomers and is an excellent introduction to the subject, explains many "technical" issues, explains the various types of motorhomes, and has a wealth of related information besides. It just may save you from making an expensive mistake (in saying which I am not implying there is anything wrong with your present choice), and at the least will send you off on your quest for a van probably better informed than some of the sales staff you will meet! :-)

I have no connection with the publisher, but I do have a copy!

My next suggestion, after you have read and digested, would be to hire a van before you finalise your choice. In hiring, try to get as close as possible to the layout and size of vehicle you are thinking of (an exact match is fairly unlikely) and then see how it works out. For some reason, there is a difference between one's imagination of motorhoming and the reality. Things you had imagined doing may seem less probable, and things you hadn't considered may seem possible. This may simply confirm your present thinking, in which case you can be reasonably confident that what you buy will be what suits you, or you may be prompted to re-think some aspects of your ideal vehicle, in which case you have avoided a disappointing, and possibly costly, mistake. Good luck.

lfc_sarah - 2014-10-30 9:02 AM

I posted a thread a few weeks ago about being interested in the Autotrail Chieftain.

We have since changed our minds and are now thinking of the smaller Autotrail Delaware but the new 2015 model.

We are due to rent a Delaware after our holiday to Florida next week but interested in opinions on this motorhome or Autotrail in general?

They say that you never get buying your first motorhome right first time but I'd like to have a good go at it! Ha!

Thank you for any help

Hello,

We bought a 'New' Autotrail Savannah almost exactly 2 years ago, apart from a few minor quality issues, we are happy with our choice, Hiring one first is an excellent idea, I think that the 'new' 2015 Media pack is great value for the price, my 2012 version was not so good. and we have had problems with our Truma/heater/water boiler GE/4, but all in all we love the 'layout', and that to us is the most important 'angle' when choosing a van. Ours always passes 'Damp testing' with flying colours.

Good luck with your choice. Ray

Isn't "almost exactly" a oxymoron ;-)

And I would hope ANY two year old van would pass a damp test with flying colours, but there you go. ;-) ;-)

Joe90 - 2014-10-30 7:04 PM

And I would hope ANY two year old van would pass a damp test with flying colours, but there you go. ;-) ;-)

Thats better than being a 'Troll-moron'

I mentioned the Damp test, as I expected the ' Don't buy anything from the UK' Brigade to start quoting how many British vans fail Damp tests, whilst forgetting to mention that Continental Vans fail just as often.

Now, can we get back to the subject, without picking up on poster's Grammar. Ray

Rayjsj - 2014-10-30 7:42 PM

Joe90 - 2014-10-30 7:04 PM

Thats better than being a 'Troll-moron'

I mentioned the Damp test, as I expected the ' Don't buy anything from the UK' Brigade to start quoting how many British vans fail Damp tests, whilst forgetting to mention that Continental Vans fail just as often.

Now, can we get back to the subject, without picking up on poster's Grammar. Ray

Lighten up,

and I'm not Judgemental. ;-)

Hello again ifc sara , what changed your mind about the chieftain :- was it the extra wheels? Ive had three autotrails and enjoyed them including a new one ,personally i wouldnt buy new again (yes its lovely being the first owner etc )but i found the vat a bitter pill to swallow :- especially when shock horror , i didnt really like the van!! And flogged it before the year was up,so you are definately doing the right thing hiring : good luck pp:)

flicka - 2014-10-30 9:30 PM

It may be worthwhile contacting Autotrail to see if you can get to one of their "factory tour" days (1 a month IIRC)

I`ve done one of the factory tours and it put me off Autotrail for life !

The mistakes i saw were just ignored and they carried on.

One in particular i pointed out to the tour guide who said it would be sorted out later.

I said how can that be done when the rest of the unit / panels have been fixed in place ?

He ` begrudgingly ` went over and told the operative, if looks could kill .......... LOL

They didn`t speak to me for the rest of the tour.

Southender - 2014-10-31 7:24 AM

flicka - 2014-10-30 9:30 PM

It may be worthwhile contacting Autotrail to see if you can get to one of their "factory tour" days (1 a month IIRC)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I`ve done one of the factory tours and it put me off Autotrail for life !

The mistakes i saw were just ignored and they carried on.

One in particular i pointed out to the tour guide who said it would be sorted out later.

I said how can that be done when the rest of the unit / panels have been fixed in place ?

He ` begrudgingly ` went over and told the operative, if looks could kill .......... LOL

They didn`t speak to me for the rest of the tour.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That sounds about right.

You really need to take a close look at these latest offerings. The side skirts and the rear skirts including the wheel arch trims are so thin and flimsy with a lack of rear bracket support. If that's their answer to saving weight what's the rest going to be like. Out of curiosity I gave a Frankia the once over, now that's what you call build quality.

My AT Delaware is 3 yrs old ; the following required repair/replacement in that time:-

both rear garage doors removed,frames replaced and resealed due to damp;

Dometic Skylight blinds replaced as operating spindle and cords snapped;

PSU reprogrammed;

sender in fresh water tank replaced;

shower unit installed on top of heating pipes to habitation area thereby necessitating rerouting of heating

pipes.

Not too bad in 3 years but fairly basic lack of quality control,eg the rear doors had been installed without

sealant!

I examined the 2015 model at the show and in my opinion the overall impression is of a 'less well made veh' !

There is no 'perfect motorhome' but AT has,in many cases, an issue with damp( as many others do) BUT AT is adhering to old technology in continuing to use a lot of wood in its construction whereas others are moving on to other materials.

That being said we like it and after a couple of days at the show the one we would replace it with: FRANKIA- the sales person was tech qualified and the quality of design and construction was obvious!

One final point re AT: their handover of warranty to MBG is a nightmare!!

If the van doesn't suit you will take a massive hit in depreciation, just in the hope you'll like it. I would go for a 5 or 6 year old van first for a year or two then part ex for the new van when you are certain it's for you.

Some get it right first time, not many though or we wouldn't keep changing them ( my next motorhome will likely be an Autotrail Imala 620 for the compact layout and loads of storage)

gocro - 2014-10-31 5:47 PM

If the van doesn't suit you will take a massive hit in depreciation, just in the hope you'll like it. I would go for a 5 or 6 year old van first for a year or two then part ex for the new van when you are certain it's for you.

Some get it right first time, not many though or we wouldn't keep changing them ( my next motorhome will likely be an Autotrail Imala 620 for the compact layout and loads of storage)

We got ours right first (and only)time! Still happy with it after 8 years.We went for the layout that suited our needs. Yes we have an over cab bed, which we now don't use,n ow due to age!!, but makes great storage of bedding as well as other items. Ours is 5 berth, but just right for two!! Would never have a "bed" version, as for us takes up too much space, in a 6mtr van.

It would not do , if we wanted the same thing. Each to his own!!

rolandrat - 2014-10-31 11:55 AM

You really need to take a close look at these latest offerings. The side skirts and the rear skirts including the wheel arch trims are so thin and flimsy with a lack of rear bracket support. If that's their answer to saving weight what's the rest going to be like. Out of curiosity I gave a Frankia the once over, now that's what you call build quality.

I do agree about Frankia quality but to be fair it has to said that it comes at a price. A case of getting what you pay for I suppose.

rolandrat - 2014-10-31 11:55 AMOut of curiosity I gave a Frankia the once over, now that's what you call build quality.

Yep, top of the tree as far as I'm concerned. On our second and continue to be impressed.

Also I've been very impressed with Pilote quality: no coincidence I guess that they own Frankia.

We have had a 2004 AT Tracker for 5 years and love it. We looked at changing this year but the new ATs look nice but very flimsy so we decided to keep ours and get re-upholstered. The vans we did like in our price range were the new Caradado made by the Hymer group.

Having put a lot of thought into the layout of our first new motorhome (Burstner Nexxo) we changed it after 2 years due to losing confidence (damp) and found the layout didn't quite work for us (fixed bed waste of space during the day)

Switched to a new AT Scout at the end of 212 and very pleased with our choice. Build quality seems very good and only issues are due to third party equipment providers.

I'd certainly suggest hiring first (although that wouldn't have help us) and also choose your dealer as carefully as the vehicle.

Archived