replacing a broken front cover on the electric hook up into the motorhome

Stardream

Any advice would be appreciated. We have noticed that the flap/cover for the electric hook up on the outside of the motorhome has cracked. Can we replace the front flap or do we have to replace the whole box and is it easy to replace a MAINS INLET 16A 230V FLUSH WHITE CARAVAN MOTORHOME HORSEBOX for 16 AMP HOOK-UP. Thank you

As far as I know it's hard to obtain flap only,replacing socket is easy,just remove front screws,pull out slowly the you will see positive red ,negative lack,earth green,just note sequence on paper or mark new unit with couple felt tips,remove,replace identically and seal around new with clear or white sealant,make sure wires are well tightened into terminals

Could be a common problem as I also have a crack on my hook up box flap. At the moment I have taped it up both outside and inside the flap just to make it last till I have to change it. No trouble using it over the last few days at the CC site at Chatsworth Park in Derbyshire , nice site that is when you can get on it.......

Most if not all weekend full booked for 2014. :-S

I replaced the similar cover on my water filler point but a new water filler would have cost a lot more than a new hook up unit.

A new unit will cost about £10 to £12 ( from ebay ) A new cover may cost almost as much. You will need to make sure, also, that a new cover is exactly the same make as your hook up unit.

I would go for a new unit.

Check the dimensions of the new one are the same as existing. There are different makers and may not all be exact same dimensions. I found one that appeared to be a better quality with a stronger flap but it was marginally narrower and may not have covered the existing hole.

Harvey

The only one I'm aware of that you can get a replacement cover for is the oblong MPK unit, as said not really worthwhile as it will only save a couple of quid and to replace the whole unit takes less than 10min, and you need to take the unit out to replace the cover just to make sure you don't damage the van getting the hinge pin out.

• 10 months later...

Took until now for our flap to break off on our way down to Spain in December, nearly 12 months. Have just today ordered a new one via ebay. Will post how the refitting goes. You cannot replace just the flap on the square ones.

Know this is old but problems still happen to all owners well I think they do .

Have now replaced the whole electric hook up box as I was right you cannot just get a new flap for the type on our van. Cost just £10.48 from ebay and was not much of a job, 4 screws from outside remove a cover from inside the van to get at the wires and replace. Worth it as now looks neat and tidy again no tape or missing cover.

Archived