rear squeaky springs

happycamper60

If the noise is a very pronounced squeak like someone rubbing polystyrene blocks together every time you go over a bump, it will almost certainly be the upper bush of the leaf spring shackle - '1c' in the picture.

It needs to come apart and be greased and then it will be good for life. They were assembled dry and thenoise comes from the wrong part of the bush turning, so it will wear prematurely if not done.

If you support the van on the jacking point just ahead of the leaf spring then the rear shackle is carrying almost no weight and it can be dismantled with everything, even the wheel, still in place.

Very easy and a blessed relief once done.

shackle.jpg.810abb705aa651265f298b1dee01e137.jpg

If you are going to grease the shackle, then I suggest you use a silicone-based lubricant. For example:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/3-in-1-oil-pro-silicone-spray-lubricant-400ml/52410

If your Autoquest has multiple-leaf springs, then individual leaves can rub against each other and squeak. I vaguely remember it being advised that PTFE sheet slipped between the leaves could help.

Denso seems to be alive and well.

see.

http://www.denso-tape.co.uk/

The squeaks are yet another version of sleepy van syndrome. The next spell of wet weather will provide some relief as water can be a lubricant. unfortunatly its usually temporary.

The plastic buttons intended to reduce interleaf friction fitted at the ends of the leaves of twin leaf springs sometimes go missing. Lack of use can cause corrosion here, With the state of roads lately a few miles off the motorway might effect a cure

• 1 month later...

Just updating this thread with some pictures as I did another squeaky/creaky X250 yesterday - same problem as usual causing the really loud and annoying noise. Often it starts with just a couple of 'eee-aaw's when first using the van after it has sat for a few days, then it becomes continuous and particularly bad over slow bumps such as speed bumps etc.

All the ones I have done have been single leaf spring campers, so no chance of it being the leaves themselves making the noise.

Luckily the fix only takes about 30 mins. per side and is easily done: you need a deep 24mm socket and an E24 Torx socket, and if you jack up the offending corner with the wheel just clear of the ground then the spring is neutral and the bolts will just slide out. It needs doing, because the noise is generated by the wrong part of the bush assembly turning due to build up of corrosion on the 'axle' that runs through it, so it shouldn't be ignored.

One picture shows the chassis fitting with the assembly removed - you can see the leaf spring shackle plates hanging down loose from the rear end of the spring . There are two metal bushes pressed into the chassis, seated in rubber. I have never removed these - they are in tight.

The other shows what is removed: two nylon top hats that push (hand pressure) into the metal/rubber part in the chassis, one from each side. Then the metal axle that runs in the nylon top hats and which the large bolt clamps the spring shackle plates onto.

The metal axle should turn in the nylon top hats and side loading should be taken against the brim of the hats. You can see the corrosion that has built up on the axle though, increasing its diameter and causing it to turn the top hats with it. This I think is what causes the noise, as the top hats turn against the rubber seat.

You need to remove the corrosion from the axle so that it is once again a slip fit in the nylon top hats. The ones I've disassembled have all been free of grease so perhaps that's how Sevel intended it, but I grease the axle with synthetic grease upon re-assembly.

spring3.JPG.f42a5301e5e1eb94b37784355d180363.JPG

spring4.JPG.e26e09e95593d86aeee83654207b85f7.JPG

Archived