ducato heater problem

flash

have a 2004 ducato 23000k, yhe heater is poor getting cooler as the fan is increased. engine temp ok .i suspect the flow of water not sufficient as the heater control (cable ? ) feels ropey and is maybe not opening a valve fully . the other ( heat direction ) control doesnt work very well either, maybe seized with lack of use ? any advice or thoughts appreciated before i start dismantling the dashboard :-( thanks in advance Gordon

Hi Gordon, Have you tried removing the filler cap from the expasion tank. turn on the heating then run the engine up to temperature. keep an eye out for escaping air bubbles and the coolant level. this procedure should expel any air trapped in the heating and cooling system.Allow engine to cool and top up coolant level making sure that the cooling system does not suck in any air during the cooling process. Replace filler cap. Use anti_freeze as a top up liquid as opposed to water. Keep a close eye on the coolant level over a period of weeks. If it drops dramatically check for leaks. If the heating does not improve because no air was expelled then I would suspect a blocked matrix and that's a different kettle of fish. All the Best, Ian

Gordon hi

Do you get hot air coming out of the facia vents when you have them selected?

If so, then there is nowt wrong, just a useless Ducato heater design!

I have a 2004 Ducato and found the heater to be virtually useless - it's not blocked, just useless as far as heat to the feet goes!

There are a few things you can do:-

- Fix up a curtain behind the cab seats, so you are only trying to heat the cab area.

- Select re-cycled air only - there is enough air in the van without trying to heat cold outside air.

- Make sure you have blocked all draughty gaps & holes around doors & seat belt mounts etc.

Search this forum for "draughts" and you should get loads of tips.

I have done all these and the curtain is the most effective - the heat in the cab is now acceptable - ish!

This earlier forum discussion may be of interest

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/A-Magic-Trick-For-Scorching-Hot-Air/9650/

Photos of a heater-matrix change are here

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Ducato-2004-cab-heater-change/33206/

I think you’ve owned your 2004 motorhome since 2012. Is the cab-heater’s performance now worse than when you bought the vehicle?

Archived