Water Connection Adaptors

G Beasley

Much of the time the usual threaded tap connectors as used on many UK sites will fit but being France they do vary quite considerably depending on make of borne or whether it is a home made one off service point as so many are. All part of the charm!

http://www.hozelock.com/watering/hose-fittings/connect-to-tap.html

The most common will be 2175 but 2158, 2176 and 2177 will also come in handy from time to time and you will occasionally find taps that challenge your wit to get a connection of any sort! All part of the charm!

Our hoses - one 15' and one 30' - have Hozelock type connectors on them so they can be simply clipped on and off a tap or tap fitting and used singly or joined together using 2166 and 2291 if it is a long stretch.

I quote the Hozelock numbers because they are easy to identify but there are many copies available which often cost a lot less.

I also have a home made adaptor using a 2291 that fits in the van's water filler point so that when I open the tap the hose does not spurt out of it's hole and wash my legs and feet, but these too you might be able to buy depending on your water filler style. Summat like this -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Water-connector-motorhome-caravan-OVERFLOW/dp/B00EF5K5DI

If yu find nothing else works then visit the local hypermarche or DIY centre. You can buy screw adaptors with various sizes all included and will likely fit.

If that does not work then the good old standby is a rubber fitting with a jubilee clip which is forced over the screw end and tightened. Usually works.

If you use the elbow shown by BKEN no need for amy thing else. We have found the elbow useful, but we can access our tank from inside MH, so we tend to use that method , by using 6ltr water bottles, thaty way you see what goes in the tank

PJay

If you look at Lenny's photo, in the bottom left corner is a blue funnel shaped 'connector' we have one of these on a (longer) hose for the taps we can get to, and a collapsible camping water container for those taps we can't get the van near.

I'm beginning to realise why we have so much spare room in the van. :D

Caddies104 - 2014-02-20 6:12 PM

If I can find our old water cap, which would not lock, will try to drill the lock out and glue the hoselock into it. Should do the job.... Hopefully!!

If you are going to DIY an equivalent to the HEOS product shown on the amazon link Tracker provided in his first posting, you'll need to be careful that its use does not damage your fresh-water system by over-pressurisation. (See wooly's comment here)

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-79915-days0-orderasc-10.html

Even if your fresh-water tank is vented, it would be worth you removing the rubber sealing ring from your old water cap, and even drilling a couple of holes through the cap, to allow air to escape easily from the tank as it fills up. Venting the cap in this manner is likely to result in water pouring through it when the tank is being filled. To minimise this happening you could follow the suggestion on the MotorHomeFacts thread and fit a shortish length of hose on the inner side of the water cap.

For tank filling I use an ultrsa-compact 10 metre cassetted water-hose made by Black & Decker and (as it was scrounged from a neighbour years ago) of an unknown age. Reeled up it's very easy to store and having to unreel it completely before use doesn't much concern me.

The wide-bore pipe going from my Hobby motorhome's water filler-inlet to the water tank inside the vehicle runs virtually horizontally, so I have a piece of stiff water hose that can reach from the filler inlet right into the tank itself and can be attached via a Hozelock-type connetor to the B&D hose.

The latter has a home-made wire 'hook' at one end that clips to the filler-inlet and this stiff hose/hook arrangement means that the tank can be easily filled single-handed. Whatever the water-supply pressure, the hose won't become detached from the fiiller-inlet and - because the filler-inlet remains uncapped - there's no chance of the tank being over-pressurised. (Another plus is that a simple piece of bent wire costs nothing!)

Derek Uzzell - 2014-02-22 1:46 PM

Caddies104 - 2014-02-20 6:12 PM

If I can find our old water cap, which would not lock, will try to drill the lock out and glue the hoselock into it. Should do the job.... Hopefully!!

If you are going to DIY an equivalent to the HEOS product shown on the amazon link Tracker provided in his first posting, you'll need to be careful that its use does not damage your fresh-water system by over-pressurisation.)

If the old water cap is undamaged and you have the key, try soaking it in very hot water as this often frees up a sticky lock enough for it to start turning again?

I did exactly that but as Derek rightly points out back pressure can not only damage your system but also give you a good dousing when the cap flies off!

As suggested removing the rubber seal and drilling a couple of 5mm holes in the cap will avoid that and give you a visible warning when the tank is full!

Archived