GREY WASTE SMELL

avensis

62pl adria coral 680. Not all the time but on to many occasions we develop a smell in the shower/wash room

I have used additives via sink/basin & shower drain points,filled the waste tank with clean water plus tank fresh & left for 24hrs. Has anybody had the same problem or can offer any tips.

laimeduck - 2013-12-19 6:51 PM

Regular cheap dishwasher tabs down each plug hole seems to help us, or bio washing fluid with a few litres of water. Do before a long drive where possible to give it a good slosh round, plus empty the grey tank regularly.

Similier to us, we put a cap of fluid down each plug hole plus one extra in kitchen sink plug hole, then drive home, after a 100+ miles of sloshing about this seems to get rid of any smells.

Hi Avensis,

The problem with most MH waste plumbing is that they do not incorporate 'U' bends or waste traps like household plumbing has. Hence the smell from the waste system is free to travel :-(

The solution (if you do not already have traps) is to fit waste traps. I have fitted these from CAK Tanks to our MH and have not had any smells since.

Keith.

PS There are different styles and sizes available, search the CAK website for more options!

Might not be any help, however, we had the same problem for months and used every cleaner / solution to resolve same only to find our motorhome has two waste tanks and we had no idea that there were two, therefore only ever emptied the one we knew about. When we found the other one by scrabbling about underneath it took all of 5 minutes to empty the contents. Wish the dealer had passed on that info. No smells now I'm glad to say ! Have you got two waste tanks by any chance (?)

colin - 2013-12-20 8:50 AM

Spadge - 2013-12-19 10:13 PM

our motorhome has two waste tanks and we had no idea that there were two,

Thats odd, what model van is it?

I can answer that for you - it's a 1998 Iveco-based Mobilvetta Euroyacht.

Twin waste-water tanks are fairly rare and are mostly found on RWD motorhomes with an interior layout where the kitchen is on one side of the vehicle and the bathroom on the other. Having a large tank for waste-water from the bathroom (a shower uses a lot of water) and a smaller tank for the kitchen (just washing-up water) removes the need to have water-hoses crossing the vehicle. With RWD motorhomes particularly, arranging for a waste-water hose to reach a tank a long way from, say, a kitchen sink is likely to be complicated by the vehicle's prop-shaft.

Colin, ref the make, Derek is quite correct with his info. The Toilet / Shower room tank on the rhs has a very visible handle at right angles to the tank exiting just below the bodyline. The tank on the lhs taking the Kitchen waste water has the handle almost hidden, its at the bottom of the tank of course but the handle is tucked in parallel to the body work and the tank and above the bodyline. We only found it because we were on a French site this year parked slightly nose up and a pool of water appeared under the van in the left hand corner, crawled underneath to source the 'leak' and found the tank. We had not emptied that tank since we bought it Sept 2012 it was bursting at the seams as you can imagine. *-)

Guys,

The originator of this thread, 'Avensis' hasn't logged on to the forum since posting back on the 19th.

They are either looking but not logging on or not even bothering to look for replies. I hope it is the former and if so a quick note of thanks to all who have replied would not go amiss, after all it is the season of goodwill :D

Merry Christmas (YES Christmas) to one and all,

Keith.

Spadge - 2013-12-20 2:37 PM

Colin, ref the make, Derek is quite correct with his info. The Toilet / Shower room tank on the rhs has a very visible handle at right angles to the tank exiting just below the bodyline. The tank on the lhs taking the Kitchen waste water has the handle almost hidden, its at the bottom of the tank of course but the handle is tucked in parallel to the body work and the tank and above the bodyline. We only found it because we were on a French site this year parked slightly nose up and a pool of water appeared under the van in the left hand corner, crawled underneath to source the 'leak' and found the tank. We had not emptied that tank since we bought it Sept 2012 it was bursting at the seams as you can imagine. *-)

Never heard of a twin tank grey water set up before, plenty of experience of twin tanks grey/black on RV's.

Although our van has traps on all the waste outlet we still occasionally get a smell I put it down to the traps being small any water they hold to stop smells gets dispersed while travelling. I've tried all the old wives remedies, coke, orange squash, dishwasher tablets yet to find anything that works as well as Thetford Tank Freshener.

colin - 2013-12-22 7:49 PM

Never heard of a twin tank grey water set up before, plenty of experience of twin tanks grey/black on RV's.

Years ago Rapido used to fit dual water-water tanks to some of their RWD Ford Transit-based motorhomes and, much more recently, Chausson has employed dual tanks on their Flash 02 model.

http://www.motorholme.co.uk/motorhomes/3se27_model.htm

As will be seen fron the link, the latter has its shower-room in the vehicle's right-rear corner, with the kitchen-unit on the right-hand side just behind the right-hand cab-seat. The low-set living-area entrance-door divides the kitchen from the shower-room, so there's a tank at the front for kitchen waste-water and a 2nd tank at the rear for the shower-room. Each tank has its own emptying-handle as mentioned on this webpage

http://twofoursixorten.wordpress.com/road-car-reviews/2012-chausson-flash-02/

"...the waste water is disposed of by pulling the 2 t-bars under the motorhome. You can do this then just drive away leaving a trail of just dirty water with no fear or causing harm to anyone or anything."

lennyhb - 2013-12-22 8:39 PM

Although our van has traps on all the waste outlet we still occasionally get a smell I put it down to the traps being small any water they hold to stop smells gets dispersed while travelling. I've tried all the old wives remedies, coke, orange squash, dishwasher tablets yet to find anything that works as well as Thetford Tank Freshener.

Bleach will definitely work (and is the time-honoured remedy) but needs care during use and when emptying the bleach-treated tank.

(Is there any information on the Thetford Tank Freshener container about its constituents? I understand that it's supposed to be environmentally harmless, but I can't find anything to say what it's made of.)

We have an Adria coral, and yes we do get the smell and from what I can see it is to do with the way the grey waste tank drains. The smell is normally after we have just drained the tank so we put the plugs in, mostly it comes from the shower room but I think this is because it is the closest to the tank.

After trying the washing liquid and the very expensive tank freshener (not worth the money) it did work for a short while but the smell came back, we would normally drain the tank and then add a washing up bowl filled with the washing liquid and warm water to slosh around as we drive to the next destination.

Back to the grey waste tank, first drain it off, then if you look under the van in the middle of the tank there should be a red cap that you can unscrew, not very nice but if you put you hand in towards the drain pipe you may feel some slim/sludge and this is most likely the source of the smell. As the drain pipe is on the side of the tank there is always some residue and obviously this would be the heavier matter.

When the weather gets better I will take off the tank and give it a good clean and look to see if there is any adaptation I can make to drain it from the bottom. One of those things the person on the drawing board thought was a good idea but they never had to use it !!! Same with the fresh water tank drain plug which you have to put your hand into the tank to pull the plug ? clear window in the shower room?

It would be good if the person who asked for help did log in and just say thanks to all the replies, it's free help from people who use their MH and come across these little problems.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

just seen this post.

I cured the problem by fitting a WASTE SMELL TRAP in the waste pipes from kitchen sink ank washroom basin.

Cost about 6quid each from CAK tanks Simply cut the pipe and put the trap inline - works like a household waste trap

Well worth it

Ken

We don't drink from the water tank on our van, we use 2 five ltr. bottles. When I clean these out (Milton type product) before going away I always empty the Milton type dilution into the waste. This means that I have ten ltrs. of cleaner sloshing around my waste tank on the road to my destination. This has kept the waste tank on my Pilote smell free.

Archived