Fiat Euro 5 engine problems

Ken South Devon

Has any one else had problems with the Euro 5 engines from Fiat?

I have an Adria Coral 2012 with the 2.3 lt 130 Euro 5 Fiat Ducato engine purchased new in March 2012.

Within days I discovered it had an oil leak and on the advice of the dealer who couldn't or wouldn't look at it for several weeks took it to my local Fiat Professional dealer.

They were superb and looked at it straight away. It was initially thought to be the sump gasket, but turned out to be from the turbocharger. Seals were changed but to no avail and eventually Fiat authorised replacement of the turbo, oil pipes, actuator and seals and the fault was corrected. (Thought to be a pinhole in a casting)

Whilst the vehicle was at the garage it refused to start, I had not had any problems. The garage reported the engine management light had come on and the vehicle wouldn't start. The Fiat UK regional engineer looked at the problems and the ECU and main fuse panel were replaced.

This year the hand brake wouldn't lock on, this was quickly repaired.

Last week when starting up to return from Looe, the engine management light illuminated; I got home and as it wouldn't extinguish the vehicle went to the garage again. Their diagnostics showed too much pressure in the exhaust and on starting said that the DPF was partially blocked. The vehicle has always had long runs having driven back from Hayle the previous week plus Looe and back.

They ran a regen, but the sensors show it did not complete. They are waiting for Fiat Technical for further instructions.

Am I unlucky or have other owners of motorhomes based on this ducato with Euro 5 had issues as well? :'(

You would hope that a motorhome would run hot enough on a long run to be able to regen, but maybe not if you are driving carefully. Yours is not the first post I've read of where dispite long journey's the DPF won't regen, I've read of the regen temp being reset lower, but can't remember if this was on a van or car

Hi Ken

We bought our Adria Sport last July & rang Fiat Camper Assist to ensure it was registered on their system. Once that was done, we got a recall notice regarding an ECU update. Apparently the upgrade was to adjust the DPF regen. My dealer informed me that originally that if the regen cycle was not completed on it's 3rd operation it was a dealer job. The ECU update was to restart any regen cycle which had been interuped.

Maybe worth checking yours' has had the recall carried out

Hi Flicka

The garage checked for recalls - all up to date; I've also checked via Fiat web site.

I was surprised that if the filter was blocked it was the engine management light that came on, and not the dpf light.

The engine light is described in the manual as showing problems with injection/ignition.

My own suspicion is it's a sensor that has failed.

There was a computer problem stopping the garage loading the test info to Fiat last week, hoping that is sorted today.

Having now read a number of posts on a variety of forums, the new Ducato engines just do not seem very robust. Probably too complicated for their own good and certainly would not be my engine of choice. Same you cant but the conversion of your choice with the engine of your choice.

Sydney1 - 2013-07-29 1:40 PM

Having now read a number of posts on a variety of forums, the new Ducato engines just do not seem very robust. Probably too complicated for their own good and certainly would not be my engine of choice. Same you cant but the conversion of your choice with the engine of your choice.

I've said it before and will repeat, google egr of dpf problem and the manufacturer of your choice and you will see they all have problems, talking to relatives in the car and agriculture busines and the problems affect all vehicles, we're talking of £100k tier5 tractors using 25% more fuel and also having all the same problems, and cars including all the suposed 'bullit proof' japenese makes which are complete nightmares, this is why when buying my new Suzi i specified a petrol engine.

colin - 2013-07-29 6:58 PM

Sydney1 - 2013-07-29 1:40 PM

I've said it before and will repeat, google egr of dpf problem and the manufacturer of your choice and you will see they all have problems, talking to relatives in the car and agriculture busines and the problems affect all vehicles, we're talking of £100k tier5 tractors using 25% more fuel and also having all the same problems, and cars including all the suposed 'bullit proof' japenese makes which are complete nightmares, this is why when buying my new Suzi i specified a petrol engine.

Colin there apears to be a list of problems that Ken and others have had with there Fiat's, so i can only agree with what Sydey has wrote

You don't need to tell me about Ducato problems, mine is still an ongoing saga, which the local Fiat Pro workshop seem unwilling/unable to fix, BUT, every manufacturer seems to have similier problems, and as I posted, some makes that would normaly be seen as a safe bet are struggling, IIRC one Japanese manufacturer has withdrawn a model because they cannot make the engine meet euro5 and are instead rebadging a Pug.

What you say about the other manufacturers is absolutely right. I'm doing my research into what to buy to replace my Transit and it's enough to make you wonder about buying a tent and sticking with petrol engines. But one problem is that it is hard to judge how bad the problem is by looking on the internet because there is a natural bias towards people who want to air their grumbles. I guarantee that you can look at any make of van and you will find posts which say " this X is a load of ***** and I wish I'd never bought it, next time I'll buy a Y" then you'll find a post which says the exact opposite. All you can conclude is that Euro 5 is problematic, that you should drive your van regularly and fairly hard, and you should keep you fingers crossed.

Archived