Bike rack for a Peugeot Boxer

PollyP

We had a Fiama bike rack fitted on our Autosleepers Symbol when we bought it two years ago. Unfortunately it sits quite high up and my husband, who is 6 ft. 2. has difficulty lifting two heavy bikes onto it. I, at 5ft. 2, would have no chance! Also, we are concerned about the weight of the bikes on the rear doors.We can't have a tow bar rack as we have a rear step. My husband is in the process of converting the existing rack to fit onto the rear step. It needs to be secure, but also removable so that we can acces the rear doors when parked. Has anyone experience or advice on doing this?

Hi,

We understand and sympathise entirely. We also have a 58 reg Symbol ES - the only way we could lift bikes on was with my wife helping by standing on a portable step. She is a little taller than you and I am 6 feet 3 inches tall.

HOWEVER BIG PROBLEMS. The mounting brackets have rusted and I noticed a few weeks ago that the bike rack had slipped and the top fitment had bent the inner edge of the door. HUGE REPAIR BILL for removal of bike rack, door repair, repainting and new decals.

We have overcome the problem by buying 2 folding bikes in bags from Leisure Lakes. They will both fit between the front passenger and rear seats.

If you wish to see photos of the damage send me your email address as a pm and I will send them.

Polly & Mel,

There was an article in last Months MMM (sorry can't give page number as I've passed it on to a friend) about exactly this failure showing a photo of a twisted door. Perhaps someone who still has a copy could post a reference to the page.

It sounds like a common problem so perhaps you should be looking at something like a towbar mounted rack after all.

Keith.

July 2011 Interchange, p180. Fiamma bike rack.

Judgemental has just had a rack fitted to his new Adria Twin. I think what he ended up with is a Thule Omni-Bike Sport Cycle Rack for Van Doors. See here http://tinyurl.com/3t8znck

It is a solidly made rack, which mounts to one door only, allowing both doors to be opened with bikes mounted. Appeared to be bolted to the door. He carries electric bikes (minus batteries, but still quite heavy) on his, but has not travelled that far with them yet. It sits reasonably low, relative to the doors, but inevitably the bikes have to be lifted on.

Supplied and fitted, I think, by John's Cross.

Brian Kirby - 2011-07-05 6:10 PM

July 2011 Interchange, p180. Fiamma bike rack.

Judgemental has just had a rack fitted to his new Adria Twin. I think what he ended up with is a Thule Omni-Bike Sport Cycle Rack for Van Doors. See here http://tinyurl.com/3t8znck

It is a solidly made rack, which mounts to one door only, allowing both doors to be opened with bikes mounted. Appeared to be bolted to the door. He carries electric bikes (minus batteries, but still quite heavy) on his, but has not travelled that far with them yet. It sits reasonably low, relative to the doors, but inevitably the bikes have to be lifted on.

Supplied and fitted, I think, by John's Cross.

It's the one I pointed him in the direction of, Brian.

It does indeed sit lower than the "tailored" Boxer/Ducato/Jumper version, (which would help in this case) and has an added advantage of a greater working load.

I believe that Judge has found one minor downside, however; as it is lower, it obscures the rear lights and thus needs a trailer board adding. (Mind you - the OPs proposed conversion to fit on the rear step will probably hit the same issue).

I'm sure Judgemental would pass on his experience if PM'ed.

How about ditching the rack itself and fabricating two brackets (one on each door) that the front wheels would sit on or hang from. Imagine the type of bike rack you see set into concrete on the floor and just fabricate a smaller version to steady the front wheel. These could have a swinging clamp that locked the wheel steady. The rear wheel could then sit in a similar piece fitted to the rear step or a bracket bolted behind the towbar mounts.

It would be relatively easy then to lift the bikes front wheel onto the top bracket, where it would hang, enabling you to secure the rear wheel in place.

This way the bikes would be upright and most of the weight supported by the step and not the door. They would also be easier to lift on and off when required, I suppose the doors could even be opened if the bike was only secured at the top hanger.

It might be difficult to imagine the design in your head, but it really is simple if you do a crude drawing.

Thanks, Mel Wood sorry about your damage. We have spent nearly £4000 on electric bikes so are not looking to replace them yet. Hubby still working on the converting existing rack. Will keep you posted.

Thanks, but still trying to work with existing rack and step without using the doors. The one he's fashioned seems to fit on the step without blocking the lights. However we have to find fixings that will come off easily and also disable the reversing sensors that are fitted in the step. Will include picture when finished and tested.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I have had same problem with my Fiamma 02093A89 bike rack fitted to the rear door of my Autosleeper Symbol when new in September 2013.

Rear door edges distorted (see pictures)

I only carry one bike (16Kg).

Following repairs & refitting, & a 2500 mile tour Without my bike mounted, I noticed that again there had been some movement of the clamps down the door.

On site in Castleton 3 weeks ago, pointed out to another camper with similar van, that his rack was slipping!

Because there is no clamp to the top edge of the door to take any shocks and prevent slippage, I believe that the rack is 'Not Fit for Purpose'.

Anyone else out there who has noticed movement of the clamps?

Cheers :-(

DSC04679R.jpg.e828f028ac710e98aaa4a4f7c372f62e.jpg

Barrie M

Sorry that you have had the same problem. I agree with your commnets about the rack not being fit for purpose.

Unfortunately 2 years ago Chris at my supplying dealer (Hayes Leisure) said he hadn't come across the problem before and although he promised to pass on to me details of the Fiamma supplier he used he never did. (Hayes had fitted the bike rack correctly according to Fiamma's instructions.)

I did email Fiamma direct but didn't even get a reply.

Our solution after a very expensive repair to the back door was not to have the rack refitted but to buy 2 folding bikes which came in bags and can be carried between the front and back seats.

Let's hope that anyone thinking of fitting a bike rack to the back door of any of the Peugeot/Fiat/Citroen vehicles will read this thread and be forewarned.

We have the same rack, bikes have been carried for maybe 5000miles? no apparent slippage or damage. Just been out and 'load tested' the rack and can confirm that a 90kg static load produced no slippage or damage to door. I do note that when the bikes are on the rack the rear doors need a bigger slam to close them.

p.s. should note that our rack is set at the lower position which partially obstructs rear lights.

Hi Colin,

thanks for your response.

The first indication of the rack moving is creasing in the protective strips under the clamps.

I believe that movement is due to shock loads induced by potholes, not the static weight of bike/s.

Keep a check on it after each trip so if movement does occur, you can get it repositioned before any body damage results.

cheers, happy holidays

barrie

• 1 year later...

We've got the same problem. Noticed yesterday that the top bar has buckled the door and is resting on the top of the window.

Bottom bar has also slipped an inch or so.

Can't understand why this has happened, as according to the instructions, the bottom bar should be attached to the door with security screws.

Anyway, only put the bikes on last week for the first time and here we are in Toscany. Hope it's safe to continue last two weeks of holiday.

Should I expect the dealer, who sold and fitted the van and rack, just five months ago to sort this out?

Archived