To display or not to display that is the question .

woody.

Last week i noticed the tax disc holder on the car had dropped off due to the condensation etc , so i thought oh well , according to what i understand from 1st of october theres no need to display it anymore . My wife is registered disabled so has a blue badge and is exempt from road tax . After shopping last monday morning we got back to the car and we had a penalty notice on the windscreen , the charge was for not displaying a parking ticket ,now in this car park there is no charge for anyone displaying a blue badge and exempt from road tax , i sent the parking admin section an e mail + photos of both items stating that we had infact displayed the blue badge but i had removed the tax disc because i understood from 1st oct there was no need to display it anymore , ive received a letter from them this morning saying my case is on hold untill they make a decision . OK now i realise the warden would see the blue badge and i know that without the disc theres no proof on the car saying tax exempt , surely these people have the same means as the police to check these things saving all this bother , so if tax exempt should we carry on displaying the tax disc even when its out of date , because we aint getting another one . (?)

Ive now received a letter concerning my parking ticket , they say no further action will be taken , [ which i expected ] they also say at the moment they have no way of knowing what the taxation status of a vehicle is [ tax exempt etc ] apparently they can only access DVLA the same way anyone else can , and they have asked me to display my tax disc even if out of date so that it can be read by their operatives , so that they can compile a list of exempt vehicles , obviously until they come up with something better . So anyone out there who is tax exempt , please carry on displaying your tax disc even if out of date , that way you wont get a ticket in tax exempt car parks . ;-)

woody. - 2014-12-04 2:37 PMIve now received a letter concerning my parking ticket , they say no further action will be taken , [ which i expected ] they also say at the moment they have no way of knowing what the taxation status of a vehicle is [ tax exempt etc ] apparently they can only access DVLA the same way anyone else can , and they have asked me to display my tax disc even if out of date so that it can be read by their operatives , so that they can compile a list of exempt vehicles , obviously until they come up with something better . So anyone out there who is tax exempt , please carry on displaying your tax disc even if out of date , that way you wont get a ticket in tax exempt car parks . ;-)

Just wondering what organisation it was that issued your parking ticket?

The law changed on October 1st 2014 stating it is no longer a legal requirement to display a tax disc and as of that date tax discs will no longer be issued.  Therefore I do not see how or why it is the business of a private enforcement outfit or a Traffic warden, or anyone else for that matter if you have a disc displayed or not.

They say no further action will be taken..........well that's because there is no action to take.  You have not broken any laws and presumably abided by the parking regulations where you parked your vehicle.  As for compiling a list of vehicles that have whatever taxation class/status that raises a few questions......  data protection/security (car registration/make/model/tax class etc is usefull information for number plate cloning scum), how can they compile a list of 'exempt' vehicles?  It is a carpark open to all and sundry.............people sell/buy/change cars ergo any list is pointless. 

The reply seems to be a load of bullshine issued by some jobsworth pillock which, if it was me involved I would ignore.  A reply telling them where to shove it would be a waste of my time.

Poole borough website [ new addition ]

If you have a disability tax exempt vehicle you can still park free of charge in Poole’s public car parks. However, due to the abolition of tax discs, any person with a disabled tax exemption vehicle should continue to display their Nil tax disc (even if it is out of date so we can still check validity). Alternatively, to register your vehicle with the Council in order to continue to receive the free parking concession please send evidence of your vehicles disabled tax exemption via email to parkingadministration@poole.gov.uk or by post to Parking Administration Section, PO Box 5038, Poole, BH15 2WG. Evidence could either be a copy of your current tax disc, a copy of the letter from Motability Operations Ltd or a copy of DVLA documents showing the Tax class as Disabled. For further advice on the scheme please contact the Parking Administration Section on 01202 634240. Please note that this is a temporary arrangement and we will update customers with any new arrangement via Borough of Poole website and other media channels at the appropriate time.

Blue Badge Holders will be subject to the normal parking charges within all surface Off Street Car Parks.

Free parking is available for Blue Badge Holders in all on street “Pay and Display” areas but subject to any time restrictions stipulated on the machine’s information plate or other signs within the parking area and your badge and clock must be displayed.

Tax exempt drivers due to disability are allowed to park free in all surface and on-street Pay & Display car parks but must obey time restrictions stipulated on the machine's information plate or other signs within the car park;

Designated spaces have been marked for Blue Badge Holders in all car parks. Your badge and clock must be displayed if using a designated disabled bay.

Multi-storey car parks are not suitable for motor caravans due to a height restriction.

Multi-storey car parks are not free to either disabled blue badge or tax exempt vehicles.

woody. The info on the website does tell you what you should do, according to the council's website, they are asking you to still continue to display your Nil tax disc even if it is out of date, or alternatively to register your vehicle with the council.

I can't see much wrong in what they are asking you to do until these temporary arrangments are replaced with new arrangments. Just email them with the evidence of your disabled tax exemption and make sure you display your blue badge...Job done ;-)

Dave

If you have a disability tax exempt vehicle you can still park free of charge in Poole’s public car parks. However, due to the abolition of tax discs, any person with a disabled tax exemption vehicle should continue to display their Nil tax disc (even if it is out of date so we can still check validity). Alternatively, to register your vehicle with the Council in order to continue to receive the free parking concession please send evidence of your vehicles disabled tax exemption via email to parkingadministration@poole.gov.uk or by post to Parking Administration Section, PO Box 5038, Poole, BH15 2WG. Evidence could either be a copy of your current tax disc, a copy of the letter from Motability Operations Ltd or a copy of DVLA documents showing the Tax class as Disabled. For further advice on the scheme please contact the Parking Administration Section on 01202 634240. Please note that this is a temporary arrangement and we will update customers with any new arrangement via Borough of Poole website and other media channels at the appropriate time.

Blue Badge Holders will be subject to the normal parking charges within all surface Off Street Car Parks.

Free parking is available for Blue Badge Holders in all on street “Pay and Display” areas but subject to any time restrictions stipulated on the machine’s information plate or other signs within the parking area and your badge and clock must be displayed.

Tax exempt drivers due to disability are allowed to park free in all surface and on-street Pay & Display car parks but must obey time restrictions stipulated on the machine's information plate or other signs within the car park;

Designated spaces have been marked for Blue Badge Holders in all car parks. Your badge and clock must be displayed if using a designated disabled bay.

Multi-storey car parks are not suitable for motor caravans due to a height restriction.

Multi-storey car parks are not free to either disabled blue badge or tax exempt vehicles.

I sent em an e mail with pics of everything as soon as i got my ticket , they then had time to rectify everything and i reckon thats why they have now included this wording on their website . it wasnt mentioned before . untill they ticketed me . They probably hadnt thought of this problem coming up before . ;-)

A friend of ours had a similar problem, they had taken their elderly disabled mother out to do some shopping, they displayed her blue badge, but were ticketed because their own car was not in the disabled class with a normal tax disc, they protested that they were carrying their quite severely mother, and were under the impression the they could park in the designated disabled parking bay, not so they were told, they had to cough up the fine, all sounded very odd to me, she is completely incapable of driving, so why has she been given a blue badge, what can she do with it ?

Joe90 - 2014-12-05 5:59 PM

A friend of ours had a similar problem, they had taken their elderly disabled mother out to do some shopping, they displayed her blue badge, but were ticketed because their own car was not in the disabled class with a normal tax disc, they protested that they were carrying their quite severely mother, and were under the impression the they could park in the designated disabled parking bay, not so they were told, they had to cough up the fine, all sounded very odd to me, she is completely incapable of driving, so why has she been given a blue badge, what can she do with it ?

Someone has to apply to the DWP for her so that she can get disabled living allowance , if she gets the full allowance they can then apply to DVLA for road tax exemption , using her DVLA numbers etc , but the car with exemption must have the disabled person in when parking , and must also be showing the blue badge , these items are of no use without the disabled person being present .

And the car with the road tax exemption can ONLY be used when the person (to whom the exemption applies) is in the car. It CANNOT be used at any other time by any other person. This severely limits the use of the car so may not be appropriate in the majority of cases as exampled by Joe90.

This is my understanding from when my In-laws where alive, I don't believe it has changed recently.

Keith.

Archived