The EU and lower wattage appliances

Tracker

http://www.dailynewsen.com/uk/eu-to-ban-high-energy-hair-dryers-smartphones-and-kettles-h2580379.html

Can anyone explain to me in simple terms why I would want to replace a high wattage appliance with a lower wattage one please.

Whilst I understand that better design for a vacuum cleaner may well mean that it needs less power to work well and I can almost see that less power on a hairdryer - not that I ever use one - might not be an issue if it has a more effective fan to distribute the warm air better.

But a lower powered kettle would surely mean it would take longer to heat and still use just as much power?

Or have I misunderstood?

Guest pelmetman

Maybe a more pertinent question would be why are we being told to reduce our consumption of energy, while China builds 3 new power stations every week 8-)...............

But I guess they'll need the extra capacity to churn out loads of under powered cheap tat for the West :D........

Will that mean the end of electric mobility scoots (the type that crush your ankles when the operator wants to push by) also maybe the eco cars with heavy batteries that need charging cos electricity generating doesn't pollute (well not in the E.U.) it's good to see they still can't see the wood for the trees. With you Dave another good reason for UKIP. *-) :D . John

Tracker - 2014-09-01 12:16 PM

http://www.dailynewsen.com/uk/eu-to-ban-high-energy-hair-dryers-smartphones-and-kettles-h2580379.html

Can anyone explain to me in simple terms why I would want to replace a high wattage appliance with a lower wattage one please.

Whilst I understand that better design for a vacuum cleaner may well mean that it needs less power to work well and I can almost see that less power on a hairdryer - not that I ever use one - might not be an issue if it has a more effective fan to distribute the warm air better.

But a lower powered kettle would surely mean it would take longer to heat and still use just as much power?

Or have I misunderstood?

Not quite true Tracker. The lower powered kettle would take longer to boil and during that time would be losing more heat through the body thus taking more energy. True with a modern plastic body the amount involved would be marginal. Taken to extreme if we had say a three watt kettle it would never succeed in boiling the water thus it would simply go on wasting energy trying to do so.

malc d - 2014-09-02 2:01 PM

If the EU REALLY want to save energy ( and save us millions of pounds a year ) they should stop moving the EU parliament from Brussels to Strasbourg and back every month.

:-(

They don't want to save money - they want us to save money so they don't have to!

Turkeys never vote for Christmas!

Archived