Coffee making machines?

Tracker

Unimpressed with instant coffee we are considering one of they there machine thingy gizmos for home use only but being of an easily confused state of mind we are befuddled by all the techno burble and hype.

There are a bewildering array of machines and pods / capsules etc and I wonder does anyone have experience of these things and whether they do actually do what it says on the box, if so which types work best, which are most cost effective, and whether when the novelty wears off they continue to use the machine?

If anyone has tried more than one type is there a preference and does the time taken to make the coffee and then clean the machine justify the end result please?

Or is it just another hyped up five minute wonder gadget?

The one great advantage of instant is of course simplicity - just bung a spoon full of powder into a cup and add hot water - job done!

Thanks guys and gals.

Guest Had Enough

Ours is in a cupboard with the breadmaker that I bought years ago. We gave away the fondue set to a charity shop. (lol)

Save your money. ;-)

Bugger, just realised, this is in Chatterbox. Still, it's non-controversial I suppose.

Thanks Frank - I suspected as much!

But I will keep an open mind as maybe others swear by them and not at them!

Our breadmaker also went to a charity shop - not worth the faffing about!

We find that a splash of Baileys - or Lidl's own brand at a fraction of the price - is very good for beefing up a cup of instant and making it creamier and a bit more coffeeish (nice word - coffeeish).

Welcome back!

Tracker - 2014-10-12 10:39 AM

Unimpressed with instant coffee we are considering one of they there machine thingy gizmos for home use only but being of an easily confused state of mind we are befuddled by all the techno burble and hype.

There are a bewildering array of machines and pods / capsules etc and I wonder does anyone have experience of these things and whether they do actually do what it says on the box, if so which types work best, which are most cost effective, and whether when the novelty wears off they continue to use the machine?

If anyone has tried more than one type is there a preference and does the time taken to make the coffee and then clean the machine justify the end result please?

Or is it just another hyped up five minute wonder gadget?

The one great advantage of instant is of course simplicity - just bung a spoon full of powder into a cup and add hot water - job done!

Thanks guys and gals.

I have a pal who swears by his Nespresso machines, has one in his van, and another at home, But there are a bewildering array of pods that he sends for mail order, and often uses me as a taster for the latest concoction, whilst some are quiet flavoursome it all seems a little bit of overkill, but of course I wax lyrical knowing his two machines have cost him the best part of £300,

then go home and make a cup of instant Douwe Egberts with my ten quid kettle ! !

As a coffee addict of over 60 years standing I reckon I've seen most of these 'gadgets' in use and tried their offerings, but only two versions of the 'Jug' method have ever really 'produced the goods' ( i.e. a simply produced, full flavoured cup of 'real' coffee in a reasonable time) for me. I first met a Danish coffee jug in 1963 in the house of a friend who had toured Scandinavia. Said jug contained a heavy duty filter bag inside it, into which you placed the ground coffee, poured on the (nearly) boiling H2O and waited for five minutes -- hey presto! delicious coffe without much, if any trouble.

The modern method is called a 'Cafetiere' Or 'Bodum' and has a more modern and efficient way of filtering out the coffee grounds . Put in the rquires No. of spoonfuls of your favourite brand of ground coffee -- 'Cafe Direct ' Rich Roast being our choice -- simples! works every time, in the 'van or at home -- unfortunately, we have not yet found an unbreakable one -- my wife dropped one when on holiday in Suffolk recently -- we had an emergency jar of 'Gold Blend' on board but -it really tasted foul in comparison to the real thing! Mention of Douwe Egberts reminds of coffee bags -- if you can still get them -- they used to be a quick way to produce a decent cup. So, Richard, unless you and your beloved want fancy espresso/Latte/capuccino, etc., my advice, for what it's worth, would be:- avoid the fancy (and expensive) machines and their accoutrements and buy a 'Bodum'.Our last one was about £14.00. I think.

I'm sure that other coffe-fiends will come along and disareee with me, but them's my thoughts on the subject!

Cheers,

Colin.

We had a Braun Tassimo for 10 years they are now badged Bosch. It was great but when we came back to the UK we bought a Nescafe Dolce Gusto and use it everyday. We buy our pods from Asda as they are 3 boxes for £10, we use the Chococino, Café Au Lait, Cappucino and the Grande Café Crema (which is black coffee). I don't think any of these machines are cost effective but ass we bought the machine from Debenhams on special offer at £69 it was a good deal. Our Friend has the Nespresso and finds that the pods for it are expensive but I have seen special offers for them on the Internet. Obviously the cheapest way to go is Instant but not the nicest tasting.

Now then Rich, first I'll take you to task and remind you of referringfto my choice of coffees on board ferries as 'poncey'.

But I'll let that go...

Yes, lots of experience of different types so here goes.

Started at home with a De Longhi, using ground coffees, soon found a favourite. Grinding our own beans was an absolute dead loss, for us.

Bought Mum a Tassimo for ease of use, she's nudging 90. It was smashing, but unfortunately was unreliable so it went.

For the van we considered another De Longhi but plumped for the Morphy Richards as it's stylish and equally important - does the job. For ease of use and cleaning, in the van we use ESE pods.

Now for home use where cleaning is easier than the van we use ground and some times ESE pods.

ESE pods are very reasonable on the web, in fact the hardest bit is finding your favourite.

Quality every time for us over and above instant coffee but each to their own as ever.

To summarise, if it's just for home and you dont mind the cleaning don't buy summat like a senseo or Tassimo. Buy one that takes ground and pods, then if the cleaning becomes a drag, use the pods.

Martyn

Symbol Owner - 2014-10-12 12:06 PM

As a coffee addict of over 60 years standing I reckon I've seen most of these 'gadgets' in use and tried their offerings, but only two versions of the 'Jug' method have ever really 'produced the goods' ( i.e. a simply produced, full flavoured cup of 'real' coffee in a reasonable time) for me. I first met a Danish coffee jug in 1963 in the house of a friend who had toured Scandinavia. Said jug contained a heavy duty filter bag inside it, into which you placed the ground coffee, poured on the (nearly) boiling H2O and waited for five minutes -- hey presto! delicious coffe without much, if any trouble.

The modern method is called a 'Cafetiere' Or 'Bodum' and has a more modern and efficient way of filtering out the coffee grounds . Put in the rquires No. of spoonfuls of your favourite brand of ground coffee -- 'Cafe Direct ' Rich Roast being our choice -- simples! works every time, in the 'van or at home -- unfortunately, we have not yet found an unbreakable one -- my wife dropped one when on holiday in Suffolk recently -- we had an emergency jar of 'Gold Blend' on board but -it really tasted foul in comparison to the real thing! Mention of Douwe Egberts reminds of coffee bags -- if you can still get them -- they used to be a quick way to produce a decent cup. So, Richard, unless you and your beloved want fancy espresso/Latte/capuccino, etc., my advice, for what it's worth, would be:- avoid the fancy (and expensive) machines and their accoutrements and buy a 'Bodum'.Our last one was about £14.00. I think.

I'm sure that other coffe-fiends will come along and disareee with me, but them's my thoughts on the subject!

Cheers,

Colin.

Colin, you can get Plastic one,s I have one, bought it years ago in a kitchen shop. have you looked at lakeland? they may do them.

Re machines, I also would go for a Cafetiara, just try differnet type/ brand of coffee untill you find one you like.

Re instant I prefer Kenco, not keen on Nescafe, but it is personal choice. I drink far more coffee than tea, always plump for coffee when out/visiting, can take coffee anyway, but tea, can be either too stong or like dishwater. As for making tea in a cup, a real no no for me , must use a tea pot!!

PJay

Look for "LeXpress" cafetieres from Kitchen Craft (Thomes Plant (Birmingham) Ltd.). Excellent acrylic jug with composite plastic, stainless steel, and silicone rubber plunger. Base and handle all plastics. Found in local kitchen shop, but there must be a number of other sources. Was £17.99 3-4 years ago. www.kitchencraft.co.uk

Symbol Owner - 2014-10-12 4:58 PM

Thanks, PJay & Brian -- we'll look at them for the van!

Colin.

We take a different view and leave the mains lead at home to make more space for Baileys and other useful devices - like fault code reader, multi meter, spare regulator etc.!

For much less that the site fee with EHU we can buy a decent cup of coffee or two - but maybe not always in France it must be said!

Hi Rich

A really good thread! Interesting to see that you are getting well thought out replies. Here's my two pennyworth -

if you really like coffee and drink it in the cafes and bars on the continent, black or with a touch of milk, a coffee machine, in our opinion, is essential. We would steer clear of the machines that use little capsules - as somebody mentioned there is a bewildering array of capsules and they are expensive.

But like all good things, a decent coffee machine is expensive. Our machine is a Saeco Rondo. This machine grinds the beans, does all the tamping down and then delivers the finished coffee. The type of grind can be set by ourselves, the strength can be set and the size of cup can be set. This at the beginning can take a little working out to get your favourite mix, also the type of beans you prefer. We use the Italian Lavatsa, which works out at about 10p per cup.

The taste of this coffee is superb and bears no resemblance to 'instant' and you can close your eyes and imagine yourself in France/Italy.

Hope this helps, there are no doubt people who are fans of the George Foreman variety of machine.

Regards

Alan

Some very interesting replies there guys and it just goes to show once again how we all have different ideas all of which are right for the individual.

The challenge for us is to get the taste and flavour of coffee without the bitterness that so often accompanies it.

Tracker - 2014-10-12 5:44 PM

Some very interesting replies there guys and it just goes to show once again how we all have different ideas all of which are right for the individual.

The challenge for us is to get the taste and flavour of coffee without the bitterness that so often accompanies it.

Pure coffee should not be bitter. Its the ones that have chickory in them, that are bitter.

i saw some-one recently using "Camp" coffee liquid. Did not know you could still buy it !

Must agree good sensible thread (for a cjange)

PJay

A bit late perhaps, but;

At home, we use a quite cheap de Longhi espresso maker. uses ground coffee, no cleaning problem, makes 2 cups of really nice coffee.

In the van, we have what I think is called a Vesuvius. An octagonal pot in 2 halves which screw together. Used on the hob, it also makes great espresso. And as I seem to recall you never use EHU, would be ideal for you.

Cheers, :-D

Cosmopolitan Girl finds all these machines irresistible and I'm sure we have the full collection stashed away in cupboards and boxes around the house. Except when the latest mistake is undergoing it's trials we use a cafetiere at home, and a simple plastic filter that sits on top of any jug or large pot and uses filter papers when in the van.

Never use boiling water to make coffee, instant or grounds. It burns the coffee, it's actually hard to beat coffee made in a good old fashioned percolator for this reason, regrettably we no longer have one and any mention of getting another will provoke abusive comments about dinosaurs, so my choice would be the cheap plastic filter.

AGD

As a coffee addict I use a cheap and cheerful Clockworks pressure machine (about £20.00) you can adapt the volume of coffee you put in to your taste I use Sainsburys strength 6 ground coffee it varies between £2.30 and £2.00 for 225g I go through 1 a week. The ones that use capsules you are stuck with what they give you which is O.K. if you find one you enjoy I only make a single cup even though it has dual spouts they don't realy work as two cup machines.The best machine I encountered is at Snertton pit stop cafe it's Swiss but costs about 4 grand so out of my league. There is another good one at Sandringham but then again the queen only has the best. John :-D

Guest pelmetman

My old man had one of those machines that took the capsules ;-) ..............he asked me to buy him some from the supermarket whilst in Spain.............they worked out at 50 cents a pop 8-) ...........an excellent espresso in the onsite restraint cost 1 euro :D.............and I didn't even need to make it (lol) .............

Tracker - 2014-10-12 5:44 PM

Hi Tracker;

maybe the bitterness is just a bean that you don't like, and rather than buy an expensive gadget it would be better to just buy a filter cone and papers plus a vacuum flask. We use that or a cafetierre, at home and in the van. A bit messy, but once you find the right bean it's great.

For special occasions I use an italian hob-top espresso maker............ real indulgence, but still less than £30!.

Enjoy the search,

regards

alan b

Richard

Much depends on exactly what you want to do and how much you are prepared to spend.

If you want a proper Coffee machine look for those built of a metal construction such as the Gaggia Classic; http://www.arredatutto.com/en/gaggia-classic-p-43500.html?campagna_adw=shopping_gb&country_id=222¤cy=GBP&gclid=CPb5-521rMECFSQFwwodbUAAkA

Not cheap but no decent Coffee machine is.....and that Gaggia model is up there among the best. Stainless steel construction, copper piping and water boiler, the only plastic parts are switches, water tank, filter holder handle and swill tray.

I've had two of those over the years but i use mine a lot. Servicing costs £60 but as long as you keep your water well filtered, and clean through the machine every 6 months (depending on use) with descalant, you shouldn't need a service.

Pressure is important. Anything less than 15bar pressure won't give a good espresso. Also if you want Cappuccino and Latte type coffee there is a milk frother on the machine.

If you go for a machine like this you will also need a Coffee grinder as it's much better to buy in bean form than ready ground. I buy my Coffee from Auchan in 1kg bags and the cost works out a fraction of what you will pay here in UK. Coffee prices in UK are simply outrageous so every time you cross the Channel, stock up in any country.

Avoid fully auto 'all in one' bean to cup electronic machines such as this; http://www.tesco.com/direct/delonghi-esam04-magnifica-bean-to-cup-multi-beverage-coffee-machine-silver/215-0356.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=215-0356

Primarily constructed using plastic they make very nice coffee......but soon end up in the bin. Far too fussy with too many unnecessary electronics to go wrong. I once had one which cost more than this machine, yet packed up after just 6 months use. I got it replaced under warranty but the same happened with the next. Never bought another plastic coffee machine since.

Interestingly on that Tesco link they also sell the Gaggia Classic......at a ludicrous £450. The other link i gave you sells the Classic at £205......just shows it pays to shop around! Thats an Italian company and ships to UK for £26.29 making the total £231.72.....delivered to your door and still saving £174 !! That's actually a very good price as i paid £185 for the last Classic i bought almost ten years ago.

The Nespresso type machines using pods are expensive to run. The pods are not cheap and the machines are poor quality built anyway. Wouldn't even entertain one.

Bodum jugs make coffee in an entirely different way. This is simply filter style coffee and not what you will get if you buy from a Coffee bar. It's a cheap way to make Coffee just as the stove top percolator like Bialetti is

http://www.marksandspencer.com/teapot-cafetire/p/p22238645?extid=ps_ggl_UK_Gen_,Home+&+Furniture+_PLAHome+&+Furniture+--%3E+Home+--%3E+Cooking+&+Dining+--%3E+Crockery+--%3E+Teapots+&+Cafetieres+--%3E+Cafetieres_M&S+Stove+Top+Coffee+Maker+SILVER&ef_id=VAehMgAABf1eV9O6:20141014155228:s

Archived