Campsites and technology

Administrator

Guest Tracker

The iphone is handy as a communication device but as for games and computers - we go away to get away from them all - except the sat nav and maybe the laptop when it's to wet to walk!

But I can see how it would appeal to some - especially kids - of all ages!

I certainly would not be happy to pay extra for those kind of, to us, 'non essentials'!

OAL Moderator - 2011-05-06 11:13 AM

We'd like to know how you feel about iPhones, iPads and game systems on campsites? 

I assume the question should be more general, and therefore asking about smartphones, laptops/netbooks and game systems?

We have a dongle which we take away in the UK so it can be used with our netbook if we need to, although when away I don't use the netbook much other than to keep a check on whatt all of the horrors on here are getting up to occasionally! :D Abroad we may use a free wifi connection but this is quite rare.

We use the netbook more for backing up digital photos and writing a log of our daily travels/adventures.

We don't have a game system but I have been known to play the odd game or two on the netbook.

• 4 years later...

I have a notebook, smartphone, simple flip flop mobile phone, and 10" tablet, but find I use the notebook with an added USB antenna more than the others, and the flip flop mobile for calls.

The notebook is used for emails, plus other computer work, and reading newspapers not available on the continent.

I find when others are grouped around reception for wifi connect, my notebook mobile antenna works at my motorhome pitch.

Abroad, where I am at present, the smartphone is even more useful than at home - for weather forecasts, searching for things (I needed some 20mm sink drain hose last week) and texting/phoning home - all free now that the Three networkhave developed their "at home" system which allows use of your "free" minutes etc.

I spend time on the laptop, even though I can't tether to my smartphone abroad, as I do in UK, and the municipal campsite we're on at present has free wi-fi, as many places now do.

The technology has become almost, but not quite, essential these days. I don't think there is any future in charging for wi-fi on campsites in UK and the sooner the operators accept that free wi-fi is becoming a cheap-to-provide as well as an important service to offer the better.

• 1 year later...
We have just been to Caravan Club site Hunters Moon, Wareham, Dorset, can't even get a mobile signal never mind a satellite signal. Most people are using a separate aerial cable plugged into the electricity bollards. They do have WiFi if you are prepared to pay for it but don't know how good it is, going off the mobile signal I don't hold out much hope.

• 1 year later...

I have lots of musical instruments, a song book, games and puzzles in my campervan. There's nothing better than sitting with my legs out of the sliding door, looking out at a view of the sea and playing the violin.....badly! Er....well, it will get better I'm sure!

The less technology while camping, the better I say.

For many years one of the joys of motorcaravans was that nobody knew where we were and nobody could tell us such important things like what colour shoes and coats the family are wearing today - and if it was raining at home - and it worked very well.

Then along came the mobile phone so we could be contacted or make contact - potentially good - but not convinced? Progress - well maybe - if you breakdown or are taken ill?

Then along came sat navs which alowed the navigating officer to look at the scenery and not bury her head in the atlas - great, now that really was progress!

Then came wifi hotspots in cafes etc, great if you need to check something potentially important but otherwise who cares what the world or anyone else is doing.

You can't change the weather so who cares what the forecast says, it is what it is, so dress appropriately and live with it!

Now along comes 24/7 connectivity - how did we ever manage without it?

Well quite well actually.

Just need to make a note never to park next to anyone with musical instruments!

Personal 'technology' is fine and dandy.  Mobiles especially are something of a real asset when one is aware of just what they can do for you.  However like everything else their use needs consideration.....unfortunately some can't use a mobile without parading about and talking in a very loud voice....others can't find the earphone jack to keep the tings/pings/bangs/pops/etc etc etc to themselves on gaming platforms.  So yes all in all technology is a boon but with reservations regarding the destruction of the peace and quiet a great many of us seek. 

Archived