campsite loos - are they important to you?

RussS Travel Editor

One of the many things we look at when we visit campsites for Caravan and the other magazines is the lavatory block(s). But I wonder - how important are these to you?

Do you put much emphasis on this when choosing a site to visit? Would you disregard any sites that didn't have loos, even though you (presumably) have facilities on board? In short, do loos really matter to you?

Really appreciate your thoughts on the matter - we have our own views here in the office, but would be interested to hear yours. Many thanks!

Hi Russ from me and swmbo it's a big yes. Had a motorhome until last year now have a caravan both have had on board facilities but always use the site loo's as a preference and they must be in good order I use on board for morning ablutions and site for all others. John B-)

Depends entirely on the weather - in the summer - happy to wander over to the loo block for a shower etc.

In the winter - nothing better than being able to have a piping hot shower in the c'van. We are lucky in that our "facilities" in the cvan rival the best any home can offer - so no problem in using them. The cvan even has an outside shower which is great for showering off the sand when sited next to a beach.

As for the loos - again - this depends upon weather and what we are doing. When we were on a seasonal pitch, most afternoons were spent in the company of others for BBQ's etc - so of course we used the site facilities rather than our hosts - tho we never objected when we were the hosts if someone got caught short! :-D

Hi,

We use the site facilities all the time, winter and summer, so the quality of the loo's and showers are very important to us, even though we have our own. We only use our own on-board facilities when we are on Aires etc.

I actually think they are about 40% of what you pay for, so I certainly wouldn't return to a campsite that had badly maintained facilities unless the price reflected this.

We are Motorhome users

• 7 months later...
Eamonn - 2014-10-31 6:48 PM

Oh yes on board Loo is just for night time and No's 1s foe everything else Site Loos and site showers , and we do like fully serviced pitches, so to us yes very important that site toliets and showers are clean well stocked

Just the same for us, we know we can get CLs etc. for a few pounds per night less, but, although we have done a weekend without facilities, that was a once, not to be repeated.

Can't remember the last time we used a shower block. We have or had a fully speced motor home or caravan so why would I want to do communal toilet or shower. Can't understand it myself also can't understand folk carrying there washing up bowl to a sink, I thought all vans had there own sinks.

• 1 month later...
ips - 2014-11-03 2:21 PM

Can't remember the last time we used a shower block. We have or had a fully speced motor home or caravan so why would I want to do communal toilet or shower. Can't understand it myself also can't understand folk carrying there washing up bowl to a sink, I thought all vans had there own sinks.

Yeah man .. with ya all the way .. (lol) (lol) (lol)

But I'm glad others want 'em .. makes sure the better sites (to my mind) are nice and quiet.

bandsp - 2014-12-07 10:34 PM
ips - 2014-11-03 2:21 PMCan't remember the last time we used a shower block. We have or had a fully speced motor home or caravan so why would I want to do communal toilet or shower. Can't understand it myself also can't understand folk carrying there washing up bowl to a sink, I thought all vans had there own sinks.
Yeah man .. with ya all the way .. (lol) (lol) (lol)But I'm glad others want 'em .. makes sure the better sites (to my mind) are nice and quiet.

Rarely use the site loos,.................thoughts of 1000's of bare derrière on seats... but what I would be more interested in is are there Washing/dryers, a drive over disposal point, dustbins close to my pitch and a fresh drinking water tap that is hose friendly but without the hose ( I have nightmares about jolly wallies washing out their casettes). 

As this has been posted in the caravan section I guess they are looking for feedback from those owners, not necessarily motorhome owners. Motorhomes tend to have larger water and waste tanks so can be 'self sufficient' more easily whereas a caravan often needs an external water supply and waste container. Some use double Aquarolls etc to get round this but personally we use the site faciltiies as although we have a washroom, the small size means that if I drop the soap the door opens. It also means I only have to fill the water tank about every 3 days or so. I also appreciate some vans are now 'plumbed' in on serviced pitches but that again does not entirely appeal as we have 'smelt' many a drain hose lying flat on the ground. The other thing I feel is that I have yet to see a sink in either a caravan or motorhome that is of domestic size, so you need s eparate basin. Plus many have limited work space. There is one other factor that those who wash up in the van also miss. The social chit chat from doing the dishes communally. We have met many very nice people that way, and would not have done so otherwise. Of course possibly those who wash up in the van are embarrased to show their cracked crockery in public, but who am I to comment.

We are summer campers, in the very hot sun, so often shower up to 5 times per day, not for dirt but for sweat.so site faciltities are welcome. The sites we tend to use most often have the toilets cleaned at least twice per day and sometime more often. There are also enough facilties so that overuse is not an issue.

Possibly my views are biased on the 'olden days' of the Caravan Club where all they offered was a tap and a hole at the corner of the field. Did not really appreciate it and glad to see they have changed that policy significantly.

We prefer in the UK 5 van sites, so site loos etc are very low on our priority list.

If using a site with loos and they meet our high standards they get used if and when convenient, if they fall short of our requirements they are given a miss.

Whether a site has facilities or not is of little importance for most of our caravanning, however, for our main continental trip of 6 weeks or so we like sites with good showers.

The sites location, state, tranquility and views predominate our choice.

Loos we find can, but not necessarily do, attract campers who don't share our values, much as do EHUs

Hi

I am one of the bad back brigade and while onboard ablutions are OK when I am in pain they are a pain believe me!!!!

Therefore good toilet blocks are a blessing.

We were in heaven with our own bathroom, heated floor and all, in Bavaria. (Camping Tennsee).

We don't select sites on this basis, stayed at the pig place near Banbury recently to underline it, but they do tint our view on sites.

Retread24800 - 2014-12-07 11:24 PM
bandsp - 2014-12-07 10:34 PM
ips - 2014-11-03 2:21 PMCan't remember the last time we used a shower block. We have or had a fully speced motor home or caravan so why would I want to do communal toilet or shower. Can't understand it myself also can't understand folk carrying there washing up bowl to a sink, I thought all vans had there own sinks.
Yeah man .. with ya all the way .. (lol) (lol) (lol)But I'm glad others want 'em .. makes sure the better sites (to my mind) are nice and quiet.

Rarely use the site loos,.................thoughts of 1000's of bare derrière on seats... but what I would be more interested in is are there Washing/dryers, a drive over disposal point, dustbins close to my pitch and a fresh drinking water tap that is hose friendly but without the hose ( I have nightmares about jolly wallies washing out their casettes). 
Agree with all that, public toilets are just the pits and I for one do not want to hear the bloke in next cubicle going about his business urgh. Never used a washer or drier on a site either but then again we never go away for more than a week so never need too.

When we are using sites in UK we do expect decent showers and toilets and if there is a choice to be made, I assume that CC toilet blocks will be better than on CCC sites, although the later are by no means unacceptable. I don't expect showers and toilet on CLs and i'm pleasantly surprised if there is anything usable.

Abroad you usually have to accept there will be no plastic seat on the loo and you need to take your own toilet roll but on sites (as distinct from public toilets outside sites) they is at least obe proper WC "throne" and you dont need to try the "low hover" continental type.

Really good site showers are a relatively rare surprise but showers are mostly at least usable, so we don't often use our own shower when on a site.

We would make do for one night if a site's toilets turned out to be dire but move on the following day.

StuartO - 2014-12-17 6:05 PM

Abroad you usually have to accept there will be no plastic seat on the loo and you need to take your own toilet roll

And you still favour a public toilet with no seat above your very clean and private toilet in your own van ?

ips - 2014-12-18 9:10 AM

Abroad you usually have to accept there will be no plastic seat on the loo and you need to take your own toilet roll

And you still favour a public toilet with no seat above your very clean and private toilet in your own van ?

I suspect you have read more into my post that was intended; I use the term "public toilet" for those open to the general public, rather than those restricted to the users of a campsite. I regard public toilets as a necessary evil of motorhoming rather than an attraction and use them sparingly - and almost never in France. I certainly don't "favour" them, as in seek them out as if fond of them.

I recognise that some people are keen, perhaps even obsessive, about using only their own toilets and good luck to them, although I do wonder how they would cope with a long haul flight for example.

But I use public toilets when necessary, but only when absolutely necessary in France, especially for "number twos". Campsite toilets I can usually cope with, even for number twos because at least they are clean, even in France!

Just want somewhere to park not interested in using other peoples, loos and showers don't see the point when I have my own nice clean ones on board. Had the same opinion when tugging caravans about for over 20 years.

Feel strongly about paying for services I don't need or want, EHU is another item they want to charge you for even though you don't want it.

I prefer to avoid Sites/CL's/CS's with facilities.

lennyhb - 2014-12-18 2:53 PM

Just want somewhere to park not interested in using other peoples, loos and showers don't see the point when I have my own nice clean ones on board. Had the same opinion when tugging caravans about for over 20 years.

Feel strongly about paying for services I don't need or want, EHU is another item they want to charge you for even though you don't want it.

exactly my sentiments.

PS

our CS has no shower and no EHU just water, waste and hard standing, so be ideal for you matey :-D

StuartO - 2014-12-18 2:18 PM

ips - 2014-12-18 9:10 AM

I suspect you have read more into my post that was intended; I use the term "public toilet" for those open to the general public, rather than those restricted to the users of a campsite. I regard public toilets as a necessary evil of motorhoming rather than an attraction and use them sparingly - and almost never in France. I certainly don't "favour" them, as in seek them out as if fond of them.

I recognise that some people are keen, perhaps even obsessive, about using only their own toilets and good luck to them, although I do wonder how they would cope with a long haul flight for example.

But I use public toilets when necessary, but only when absolutely necessary in France, especially for "number twos". Campsite toilets I can usually cope with, even for number twos because at least they are clean, even in France!

I must admit to a number two in a caravan club block on occasions but only if its not raining or cold then I prefer to stay indoors :-D but never ever use a shower other than my own.

As for france well that's another world really isn't it. Even Monaco public toilets are just a hole in the floor and with my sciatica even if I wanted too it aint gonna happen.

To slightly digress the blade seal failed on our caravan loo and we did not notice right away. Although we replaced it and of course cleaned the cassette etc, we still felt there was an odour in the loo despite freshers etc. Eventually we removed the whole toilet and discovered that there was a hidden plastic tray underneath it where 'fluid' had leaked. Fortunately it was just smelly fluid, not solid material but not too nice.

Personally I feel that 'doing the business' should be a one shot job, not storing it to remove later. Reminds me too much of the good old days of a 'guzzunder' under the bed. Even our dear prisoners are not expected to 'slop' out anymore. Yes, as mentioned we have a loo in the van, but it is a back up, not de rigour.

As for French loos, yes there are still a few 'holes in the ground' on municipal sites but most of the main sites are all modern. In Spain etc such things do not exist.

In public places I, as a male, can usually stand but my dear wife invariably has to sit, so I do wonder how those that insist on using their own facilities manage when shopping or travelling etc. Do they have one of those black bags they use for dogs perchance???

ips - 2014-12-18 3:50 PM

lennyhb - 2014-12-18 2:53 PM

exactly my sentiments.

PS

our CS has no shower and no EHU just water, waste and hard standing, so be ideal for you matey :-D

I feel however we are in the minority; but that has been our lot through life! ;-)

Archived