Which Security Device?

josie gibblebucket

The insurance companies all seem to have different requirements, but are pretty much united in saying you must have two security devices on your caravan, or they would not pay out if it got stolen. Just wanted some opinions on what would be the best items to get. Does more money necessarily mean more difficult to break off? Are there any makes, ie wheelclamps that are better or worse? I already have a hitchlock, but it doesn't look really very impressive, so any other ideas? *-)

Milenco is as good if not better than many.  Their site says about their 'Original' wheel clamp:

This wheelclamp is a UK made and has won every attack test for the past decade, with exceptional and unsurpassed attack resistance,  Our wheelcamp is certified to far exceed Sold Secure Gold and is approved to the world's highest accredited Caravan Security Standard SCM MP03.

I am wondering if you are asking 2 questions here.

Are you trying to stop your van being stolen or broken into, or are you trying to keep your insurance Company happy as you have a gut feeling that this is likely to happen? Only you know your neighbourhood.

If it is the former then as you probably know most insurance Companies would prefer you to keep your van in a secure recognised storage area. Some may argue that this does not guarantee either loss or damage, but it is likely to be the first question the loss adjuster asks. I note that my own storage facility has a 10 foot angled fence ‘a la Colditz’ around the whole area, double gates with fingerprint entry system and dare I say protection from the ‘local Mafia’, so even if some wide boys did decide to go for it, and risk their kneecaps, they then have 350 vans to choose from so i have a 350 to 1 chance of being ‘it’. When it is parked in your driveway you have a 1 to 1 chance of it being nicked. Damage from some stupid other owner is my greater fear, but so far after 8 years, I have nothing to report. I do fit the aforementioned hitchlock and wheelclamp to keep the insurers happy, but again I feel these are pretty much an afterthought.

Some people who keep the van at home put up posts in the drive and even swop the wheels for winter wheels to minimise risk. All very good but again if your van has been targeted then at some stage things will go wrong. Thieves can soon bring wheels and tell the neighbours that you have asked for some work to be done. Most hitchlocks are removed in seconds and a cutting torch will make short shrift of any wheel lock. And that is if you have neighbours actually at home, as many do not. If there is a van labelled ‘Joe Bloggs, Caravans’ outside the house will anyone investigate? If you are at home yourself watching it all the time, then obviously you have a much safer situation.

The other issue is if the van is broken into and here things are rather too easy for the would be thief. No caravan has security worth a pinch of salt as doors can be forced in seconds and plastic windows even faster. Having an alarm is again dare I suggest not much use as can I ask how many times you have gone to investigate a car alarm going off or a house alarm? You always put it down to a false alarm and just wish it would stop. The best solution is to not keep valuable items in there but what is valuable these days? As I have heard of toilet cassettes being nicked from the outside locker, I do wonder. Plus unpacking and repacking is a chore.

Motorhomes are better to secure as they can often come with deadlocks and steering wheel locks which will slow things down quite a bit. But again contents could be the target. Again plastic windows can be forced very rapidly.

Sorry but I feel you have to ask yourself what it is you actually want. If to keep the van secure then dare I suggest find a very good storage facility, fit the devices mentioned and relax, as much as you can. You will at least be comforted knowing that your insurers will pay out without question if the worst happens. The other option is to use it as much as possible. A 3rd option is to not have a valuable van in the first place and basically ‘not give a damn’, but most of us shy away from that one.

Life is too short to have to worry about everything that may or may not happen. Do the best you can and live with it.

Thank you for the replies guys. I will certainly investigate the Milenco wheelclamps if they are good.

Dave, I am trying to keep my van secure AND do whatever is deemed necessary/adequate by my insurance company. They are quite happy for it to be kept at our address, and it will be used a lot. I accept what you say about the possibility of it being targeted, and although this seems to be a nice neighbourhood, we are not complacent. I merely wanted to know if there were any devices I should consider or any that were a waste of money.

• 1 month later...

Hi

We initially used the bulldog QD wheel clamp and alko Hitchcock. A few years ago an attempt was made to steal our caravan of the drive. The wheel clamp was attacked resulting in complete distortion of it, but it did not come off. I had to buy a new one though but it did it's job well. Police advised parking caravan with hitch towards house not the road as this slows down the get-away!.

We now have two clamps the QD and stronghold alloy wheel bolt on type, plus fiammi door blocker, Fullstop hitch post and now CCTV... Yes we are now completely paranoid but my point is don't skimp on caravan security and don't make it easy for them. Both the stronghold and QD are robust products.

Watto

Thanks, thats good advice. We don't have alloy wheels on ours, so had to opt for the "normal" type of wheelclamp. I guess if thieves are determined enough, they will find a way to nick anything though. :-( Not possible to point our towards the house either, as the only way it will fit on the drive is sideways!

Archived